Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

In Word my computer overprints and does not progress across

Customer Question

In Word my computer overprints and does not progress across page!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Do you mean when you are typing in word, the text types over the text ahead of it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Chris The Computer is mac osx snow leopard

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok I think that you may have turned on overwrite by accident.

In Word, you can double-click OVR on the status bar to turn Overtype mode on or off. Or, on the Tools menu, click Options, click the Edit tab, and then select or clear the Overtype mode check box.

However depending on your version of word you may find the option here: Open Microsoft Word and select Preferences from the Word Application menu. In Preferences turn off overtype mode in the Edit category.

If you cannot find it or I misunderstanding let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
In order for me to connect to your computer to help you will need to download the connection program.

Go to the following page:http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/download/mac.aspx

Next click where it says "For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport"

Run that, it will give you an ID and Password, provide me with those.

Make sure you pay attention to your downloads.

You will need to double click it to get it to run.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I show you as offline.

If you need me to connect to fix this send me a message.

All you should have to do though is look towards the bottom of your word document and click the "OVR" text at the bottom of the page (which should turn from black to gray) and you should be able to type without deleting the text in front of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris

i have checked the ovr and it is turned off, this only happens when in word, i am using the office mac 2011

as you can see works in all other aplications. I am an 83 year old and therefore it take me a little while to find where i need to be and may not always understand instruction to get me to the correct menu.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I think i am going to need to connect to your computer so I can confirm what the issue is. It sounded like you had ovr enabled but perhaps it is something else and when I see it I can fix it.

Send me a message and let me know what is a good time to try this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

I have loaded the software (or at least a 'friend' has).

The details needed for you are below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
I forgot.....anytime in the day is fine.
The Mac will be on all day.
Ray
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Ray,

I just got online and will be available for the next 3 hours or so. Send me a message when you can and I will connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris with the help of a friend I have followed your instructions several times without success. off

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in reply. Are you available now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Been away from mac for a while. Problem still there.

not sure what you want as I sent codes yeterday. However here they are again.

ID: 865 340 870

Password: x275zy

WILL HAVE MACHINE ON but may not be at the desk. Could you ring me when you want to sort the problem.

Tel 01225 316285

Ray

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Whilst waiting I have tried a number of things.

Firstly accessing the overtype facility on a new Word doc. In this case it will not resort to normal insert it just overtypes, no matter what I do.

On the contrary when accessing any previously created doc I can type normally but if I try setting to overtype it will not work. It continues to type normally.

This may help in your analysis.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

Let me know when you are in front of the computer. I would like to get connected while you are there and then you can show me exactly what is happening and I can try to get to the bottom of it for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris I am now in front of computer Ray

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am going to try and connect using the code and id you gave me before.

If this has changes please tell me the new team viewer id and password
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Just tried to connect but password ***** working. Please open team viewer again and let me know what it says next to Your ID and Password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

id 865 340 870 pass word x275zy

this is exactly as taken from the software you advised me to use.

I have used lower case on the pword because that is how it looked. I had a friend here and we both wrote data down.

There were spaces on the ID

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
The password ***** coming up as invalid, close team viewer and re-open it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

new info

ID 865 340 870

Pword 7w27k

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I keep trying it and its not working, you need to leave the program open, double check that password ***** is usually 6 characters long
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, bad eyesight as well

Pword is 7w27ik

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Looks like we lost connection.

At any rate your template needed to be reset. Blank word documents have a template they load and this can be change. Likely through some error you saved this odd change into the template so when you opened a new document the problem was there.

When you want to open a new document just remember to choose file and new blank document and you should be fine and can format from scratch.

Thanks,
Chris