JoelK
JoelK, Office Software Specilaist
Experience:  I am a self-employed computer specialist more than 10 years experience working with Microsoft Office computer software.
76287196

Hi - I have a team of salespeople working in the field. They

Customer Question

Hi - I have a team of salespeople working in the field. They will be using windows 8 OS on Dell tablets and I want to use MS One Drive to transfer information to them. My understanding is that One Drive requires the information transmitter to invite/share with the recipients who then access and view or download the files concerned.
I need to do it slightly differently - I need to have one common drive/location that the recipients can freely access at any time (subject to security access with passwords etc) and access folders or files as they need to.
Can this be configured in One Drive and is there any step by step guide I can access for setting up same?
Also - if One Drive doesnt work this way can you advise on any other solution that does?
Note - I am not a techie and the more idiot proof your advice the better.
Thank You - Fergus McCarthy
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Thanks Joel. What can you do with my query?

JoelK :

You can get Office 365 Business and install it on each of your salespeople's laptop computers. There is a monthly subscriber charge for each user, and the cost varies depending upon the software suite included/. This will allow each of your salespeople to access the OneDrive independently.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

OK - we have that bit done. I have it on mine now. Configuring it for regular access by the guys in the field is my issue along the lines I have described.

JoelK :

Do you have a Microsoft Office 365 Business account or a Personal account that includes installations on multiple pc's now?

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Its a business account. We will have something like 25 users on it.

JoelK :

Okay. Good. Will your salespeople be needing more application than just email and calendars?

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Yes - the package includes all key office 2013 applications among other things.

JoelK :

Very good. When you go to the www.microsoft.com website on your computer and login to your business account, if you go to the top, right corner of the screen, you will find your account name with a pull-down arrow next to it. When you click on that arrow, you will see the My Account menu. Click on that and you will be directed to the Installation page.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Just to be clear - I have One Drive installed already - do you still want me to do this?

JoelK :

You already have the software installed on your machine. This is for information only.

JoelK :

However, if you were doing this on one of your salespeople's computers, you would see exactly the same webpage, and you would simply click on the Install button. Once the software installs on that user's machine, they would have independent access to the OneDrive.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Ok - lets assume they have access to One Drive. Can we set up a Central One Drive location that they can access to retrieve files that are shared with them? This access would not require a share notification to them - they login and fet their information at anytime they need to?

JoelK :

Yes. It is all centralized. For example, if you create a folder on the OneDrive called Sales Leads, and load it with a list of files, everyone would see that same folder and all the files contained in it.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Joel - I need a step by step guide on;

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Continuation - sorry; a) setting up that location (call it a sales admin drive) b) enabling ongoing access c) setting up security access and d) a set of instructions for the information recipients on how to retrieve the information

JoelK :

I will have to check on the details of your particular account type. I am familiar with the Office 365 Personal multiuser account, which I have been using with only one password ***** all machines. The Office 365 Business accounts may have individual passwords for each user. Can you tell me the name of your business account?

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

I dont have the details of the corporate account. My own access is through my email address provided *****@******.***

JoelK :

I cannot see your email address, because it is blocked online. I can get back to you about the login details and whether there are private data folders can be created for each user in addition to the public areas.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

OK Joel - is there any more we can do on this now?

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

How do we keep this query open? Clearly we arent resolved yet so I cant give a rating - can this chat be resumed?

JoelK :

Yes, your question will remain open for one week. The chat format may convert to a Q&A format, where you have to refresh your browser to see replies, but since this is not a timed chat, I will try to keep it in this format. I will see your posts whenever I am online.

JoelK :

Which is usually every day.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

If you have any information you feel I can progress with, could you email same to me? I am particularly looking for something that can walk me through this step by step.

JoelK :

There are also Microsoft professionals on their website with whom you can chat directly. I think that it would be best if I hand you off to them at some point when you are comfortable with the process. However, I can certainly help you navigate the waters with them.

JoelK :

Under the Terms of Agreement for this site, I cannot really take the discussion offline, unless there is a good reason to do so, such as emailing documents that cannot be transferred online.

JoelK :

You may see that I have been going in and out of this chat window in order to research your issue on the Microsoft website. But I am still here to interact with you, if you are still here.

JoelK :

Hi Fergus,

JoelK :

Well, let me tell you, I have been learning all afternoon about OneDrive for Business, and it has a lot more features than the personal multiuser version that I have been using. I have watched videos that you may not have time to watch. Some went too fast, some were quite boring, and some were quite interesting, although perhaps too slow for a busy person to watch. I do not think that handing you off to a Microsoft customer support specialist is such a good idea now, because it would be all too easy for you to get lost in the bureaucracy. I can stay with you on this until your team is all set up.

JoelK :

Here is basically how Microsoft Office 365 for Business differs from Microsoft Office 365 Personal and Household:

JoelK :

With the personal multiuser version, all members of the household share the same OneDrive. It can be portioned into user areas, but everyone has access to everything on the OneDrive. All right, enough said about that1

JoelK :

!

JoelK :

With the business version, every team member has his or her own OneDrive which is automatically synced to the documents stored on their individual laptop computers. But the really cool thing about Microsoft Office 365 for Business is SharePoint, which is how the team shares documents, contact lists, calendars, reports, etc. Microsoft has been developing SharePoint since 2007, and it is now evolved into a highly integrated, easy to use, and extremely useful online database for business.

JoelK :

I have seen how it has evolved since SharePoint 2010 came out. It was the Cadillac of applications, but it worked differently with Windows 7 than the current version. With Windows 7 the offline libraries on each computer first had to be set up manually to sync with OneDrive, so that the automatic sync process could be started. The same was true for the

JoelK :

SharePoint data. With Windows 8, the OneDrive sync process is elegantly integrated into the software, so that it occurs automatically whenever the computer is online, and all documents in the cloud are also available offline. Some of the tutorials on SharePoint that are available on the internet have not made the transition to Windows 8 yet, but I have, and I can bridge that gap for you.

JoelK :

You are going to need a SharePoint administrator for your team. If you have a couple of hours, I can recommend two YouTube videos on the subject that you might want to watch. It is all very easy to do, once you know how, but it can be overwhelming if you do not have the time to put into it.

JoelK :

SharePoint is cloud computing at its very best. Microsoft has hit a grand slam walk-off home run with this!

JoelK :

OneDrive offers continuous online file backups which occur in the background. SharePoint offers online file sharing. But it is much more than that. It is actually a website and a do-it-yourself file server.

I can be your site administrator, at least until your site is set up and running the way you want it, and I can do it from this Just Answer service. By using our Additional Service, I can offer you remote desktop support, where I can actually view your screen and control your keyboard and touchpad. I can set up your SharePoint website and your users, and then I can show you how to maintain it. I know a lot more about it than I did when we chatted earlier. And I still have more to learn.

JoelK :

We can get started whenever you are ready.

JACUSTOMER-zxkechyh- :

Joel - this sounds like its in the ballpark of what we need. How does this proceed? Do I watch the videos first? Can you walk me through the administrator role or do you have documents on same? This needs to be pretty simplified.

JoelK :

Great. I'll put together a package of three videos for you to watch.

JoelK :

Here is a short video that describes the difference between OneDrive Personal and One

JoelK :

OneDrive for Business

JoelK :

I can't seem to find the first video that described SharePoint site collections, but here is another one that is good:

JoelK :

This is the most important one for you to watch. It takes about an hour. The others talk about what you can do with OneDrive and SharePoint. This one tells you HOW TO DO IT:

JoelK :

After you have watched these videos, we can get started. I have been a Network Administrator, and I already know how to set up and populate a platform such as SharePoint. I can either do it for you while you watch and learn, or I can get you started and let you do it yourself with guidance from me. I am a good organizer, so I would recommend that you let me set up your basic structure, and then you can add to it and modify it to suit your needs.

JoelK :

Fergus McCarthy -

I have been talking to a Microsoft specialist about SharePoint for you. I wanted to be sure that access to SharePoint Online is included in your plan. I am certain now that everything that I have been telling you about the capabilities of SharePoint is true and it is all available to you. As a SharePoint site administrator, you will be able to access an administrative console to set up user accounts for all of your sales staff.

We can discuss exactly how to do this when I hear from you again.

JoelK :

Fergus -

JoelK :

I haven't heard from you in a few days. Are you still interested in having me assist your company in setting up and configuring your shared files area using SharePoint online, which is included with your Office 365 business account?

JoelK :

IF I HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, I WOULD APPRECIATE A GOOD OR AN EXCELLENT RATING. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.