Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Hi, I had a call yesterday from a female claiming to be from

Hi, I had a call yesterday from a female claiming to be from Microsoft Support and that there were multiple problems with my computer, she then put on the so called chief engineer who showed me various problems after I had given him remote control of my computer (now I realize the mistake!). Eventually he quoted various prices for 3 and 5 years plus lifetime coverage to stop hacking. After I refused to pay anything he informed me my computer would be blocked for 72 hrs and I would have a call from the fraud squad as I was assisting the hackers by not buying his product. I turned my computer off completely and put the phone down, then he redailled immediately. I have managed to get on my computer by a different log-in but I am worried he still may have access to my computer.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jess M. :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat...

Customer:

Hi Jess, I am ready now

Jess M. :

Hi, thank you for joining chat. I honestly tell you, that the callers whom you encoutnered were real scammers. They were fake Microsoft tech people. Microsoft does not call people begging for money to buy their product. They were just scaring you to buy their product.

Customer:

Yes but they have stopped me using my normal log-in, can they access any of my details such as on-line banking

Jess M. :

I doubt that. As long as you have an antivirus software installed in your computer, then they must NOT be able to access your computer again. Can you recall what software they used to connect to your computer? Is it TeamViewer? or JoineMe?

Customer:

I believe it was JoinMe, how can they stop me using my normal log-in

Jess M. :

Wow, they used JoinMe since it is free. Another free remote tool is teamviewer....

Jess M. :

Now, here is the thing.

Jess M. :

When they need to connect to your computer with JoinMe, you need to run the JoinMe software in your computer first, then give them the 9-digit code. That act of giving the code is your permission for them to share your screen.

Jess M. :

Now, they can NEVER access your computer using JoinMe since you will NOT be giving any code to them....

Jess M. :

In short, they will never be able to access your computer without you knowing it or giving them permission to...so please do not be afraid...

Customer:

Ok I understand that and I was stupid to let them access my computer in the first place but how come they are still blocking my usual log-in and will that only be for a certain period of time.

Jess M. :

That is strange. Can you please tell me how "they" are blocking your usual login?

Customer:

They said my computer would be blocked for 72 hrs and I would receive a call from the fraud squad so when I switched my computer off and back on again in the usual log-in the password ***** incorrect.

Jess M. :

Wow, that is a real tricky manuever to scare you....

Jess M. :

By "account" are you referring to signing in to your Windows user account?

Customer:

Yes I believe so, if that is what happens on original turning on of the computer

Jess M. :

I just want to confirm, if you turn on the computer, you will pick a username on screen, a user account. When you use the original account, and enter the password ***** you know, it is now rejected?

Customer:

Yes but I have an alternative, that is how I am on the computer now using a different username and password.

Jess M. :

Alright. I believe they did not block you, instead, they changed the password ***** they were connected so that you cannot access the original account. During the remote session, have you noticed them going to Control Panel and then User Accounts?

Customer:

No I have not looked at Control Panel and User Accounts

Jess M. :

OK.... Can you allow me to remotely access your computer for free to check and undo the possible damage that they have done?

Customer:

Yes but it sounds very similar to what happened yesterday, I trust all will be well

Jess M. :

yes, we are a legitimate company JustAnswer

Jess M. :

Here is how this works so that you will know that there is no risk...

Customer:

Ok what do you want me to do

Jess M. :

I will create a remote session, then you will just join. To join, you need to downlopad and run the program from us (I will give you the link later)

Customer:

Ok let me know when to begin

Jess M. :

Ok, hold on please, I will create the session and give you the link

Jess M. :

Click on that link, it will open in new window. Click on the I Agree button and download the remote tool. After that, run the downloaded tool to join me in the session

Jess M. :

How is it going? Were you able to download and run the tool?

Customer:

I have tried that and nothing is happening, I have clicked the I agree button and then it says to save file or cancel, after saving file nothing is happening

Jess M. :

After saving the file, please locate where you saved it. then double click on it to run

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years