toughguy9
toughguy9, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Data Recovery, Computer Hardware and Software
21067471

I have a laptop running Vista in which I store many thousands

I have a laptop running Vista in which I store many thousands of photos taken over many years - mostly digital. Every now and again I like to copy selections of the images to a separate folder with a view to transferring later to a tablet. Annoyingly every time I copy a photo to the new folder a duplicate image is created in the Gallery - which is already cluttered enough. I don't always see the duplication as it does not always appear in the vicinity of the original. I am reluctant to use a duplicate removal program as that depends on the file name and these will have been duplicated many times over the years. I have no wish to take the risk of losing important files. I fully appreciate that I should have renamed each file as I went along but that would be a huge task now. How can I stop the initial duplication.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  toughguy9 replied 2 years ago.
toughguy9 :

toughguy9 :

Thanks for using JustAnswer

toughguy9 :

This is Leela and I will be working with you today

toughguy9 :

Generally in gallery there would be settings on which folders to monitor for photos

toughguy9 :

once you copy an image in that configured folders it would automatically identify and show it up in the gallery

toughguy9 :

The image wont be DUPLICATED...

toughguy9 :

to confirm that check for the LOCATION property of any image in the gallery and check if it is same as the actual location where it is saved

toughguy9 :

if you still have doubts, we can do a remote session I would check the settings and also help you identify any duplicates in your computer

toughguy9 :

let it be images or even other files

Customer:

I am afraid I do not understand. What does "there would be settings on which folders to monitor for photos" mean? Where are the specific settings to be found, please? How does one exclude a chosen folder from having its files returned to gallery exactly? Further what is meant by saying that "once you copy an image in that configured folders it would automatically identify and show it up in the Gallery" mean? Please clarify in standard English. What you may appear to be saying is that once an image from gallery is copied to a specified folder it will then automatically show up in the Gallery again. That is the precise problem. Why should that happen? It is quite unnecessary and infuriating.

toughguy9 :

toughguy9 :

Please donot worry if you donot understand about the computer terminology.. Can we do a REMOTE session so that I can check the computer and do necessary configuration

toughguy9 :

it should be very quick..

Customer:

I am afraid my Vista laptop is not configured for on-line use - it's really only used as a photo store. I am opening it as I type and can carry out any specific moves that you suggest.

toughguy9 :

if you are CREATING a DUPLICATE copy of the photo, the gallery is likely to pick it up as a different photo

toughguy9 :

Can you please help me with some details..

toughguy9 :

on which directory is the original photo?

toughguy9 :

to which directory you generally create copies for copying onto tablet?

toughguy9 :

For example.. by default "My Pictures", "My documents" are configured to be monitored by Gallery

toughguy9 :

i.e., when a new image is places in these folder or sub folders then the gallery would pick up and show it

toughguy9 :

suppose your actual image and the duplicate image for copying in tablet are in "My Documents" then it would certainly pick up the duplicate image as NEW image and show up in gallery..

toughguy9 :

Please let me know the details of folders on your computer so that I can analyze the exact problem in your case

toughguy9 :

Please do the following to check the settings on Windows Photo Gallery

toughguy9 :

Open Windows Photo Gallery by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Photo Gallery.

Click the File menu, and then click Options.

toughguy9 :

There you can see the settings..

Customer:

I am merely making a copy - does that mean anything different from creating a duplicate? Directories are beyond my general comprehension. However, Gallery is what I use - but though the same pictures should appear in "Pictures" they don't all seem to be there. They are all shown in dated folders from 2003 to 2009 general and one in 2013 but I cant see more recent files in the Picture directory. I have not looked to see if they've gone anywhere else- save that none appear in "Documents". Is there a problem, do you think, of where the photos are being placed when downloaded from the camera to Vista? I have opened Gallery as you said and am at Options.

toughguy9 :

making a COPY is same as creating a DUPLICATE

Customer:

OK

toughguy9 :

You can go to IMPORT tab and you can check WHERE the photos are copied when imported from CAMERA

toughguy9 :

if you can navigate to that location on your computer, you should find the photos

toughguy9 :

imported from camera

Customer:

The settings for a camera are downloaded to the desktop. The option for importing photos indicated a named file on the desktop and various others on 'D' drive. Browsing under 'desktop' there are four sections - 'named' ,'public' , 'computer' and 'network' shown. Thereafter all the various individual 'sub' (?) folders I have created are listed. Under 'folder name' is shown 'date imported + tag' and for 'file name' there is 'tag'..

toughguy9 :

ok

Customer:

the other options ticked are for prompt, rotate and open gallery after import.

toughguy9 :

from what you said I understand that the pics and videos IMPORTED from camera would be placed on the desktop

Customer:

I think that is so.

toughguy9 :

ok..

toughguy9 :

now can you let me know where you are creating a folder for copying to tablet?

toughguy9 :

i mean on desktop or some other location?

Customer:

Also on desktop for ease of transfer.

toughguy9 :

ok.. that is what I think is the cause of DUPLICATES

toughguy9 :

when you are copying the images for copy to KINDLE

toughguy9 :

by kindle i mean tablet

toughguy9 :

sorry for that

toughguy9 :

it is IDENTIFYING the image and adding in gallery

toughguy9 :

If you can create a folder at a location which is not monitored by Gallery.. like C: or some where else

toughguy9 :

and try to copy the images then they should not appear as duplicates in the Gallery

Customer:

Right: where and how should I create the individual folder

toughguy9 :

please go to C:

toughguy9 :

and create a folder by name TEST

toughguy9 :

then copy some images which have ONLY ONE COPY

toughguy9 :

in the TEST folder and see if those images appear as duplicate in gallery or not

Customer:

I've opened a Test folder in C. Do I copy from Gallery? That's were I know all the photos are.

toughguy9 :

nope

toughguy9 :

copy them from folder directly

Customer:

That's a folder in Photos, I presume.

toughguy9 :

you should find on DESKTOP also

toughguy9 :

as import is configured for copying photos on DESKTOP

Customer:

Yes, I would expect that -but I can't see where, though there is one small folder that I can use. By the way in clearing my vista screen I have dome across an eos wireless file transmitter which says that the monitored folder is C:\users\christeen\documents and the destination folder is c:\users\christeen\Pictures. That probably has nothing to do with anything but I did not see any such thing in the documents directory - has that any significance? Anyway I am copying an image or two as you suggest.

toughguy9 :

As per my understanding the software is monitoring the 2 folders documents and pictures

toughguy9 :

do you see Christeen folder under C:\users?

Customer:

Ok, I've copied four images to the Test folder and they have not been duplicated on the original folder - but I cannot see if they have been copied into Gallery. How do I check C:\Users? My knowledge IT is being sorely stretched!

toughguy9 :

If they are showing up in Gallery in duplicate that should your problem

toughguy9 :

on the ORIGINAL folder they WONT be duplicated

toughguy9 :

can you go to Gallery and check once if you see a duplicate image or not

toughguy9 :

for navigating to C:\users

toughguy9 :

you need to go My Computer

toughguy9 :

then to C:

toughguy9 :

then Users

toughguy9 :

then you can see the username related folders

Customer:

I don't see any duplicate but as I said initially the duplicates do not always appear in Gallery exactly where one might expect. I've gone to Computer and drive C but I can't find 'Users' - where should I be looking?

Customer:

I notice when I right click on one of my photos copied to the Test folder and ask for 'properties' that in the section where is describes the Type of file it goes on to say "Opens with Windows Photogallery" and offers a 'change' option. Presumably that would only affect the individual image if I changed where it was to open?

toughguy9 :

yes

toughguy9 :

that is right

toughguy9 :

it would impact only that folder

toughguy9 :

did you see the duplicate of the images copied in TEST folder in Gallery?

Customer:

No - but as I said they don't always appear where one would expect. I still haven't found "Users".

toughguy9 :

ok.. donot worry about the Users directory

toughguy9 :

the message you have reported may not be related to the gallery

Customer:

Ok, where now?

toughguy9 :

if you are not seeing the duplicate image for the images copied in TEST folder that confirms you can use that folder for temporary copying so that images wont be duplicated

toughguy9 :

if you use temporary directory under C:

toughguy9 :

then your duplicate image problem in Gallery should be resolved

toughguy9 :

do you have any other queries?

Customer:

Allow me to check to see if copying from gallery to Test folder does not result in duplication. If not then the problem is resolved, If it does it is still present because I can't find all my pictures on "photos" - only in "Gallery".

toughguy9 :

ok

toughguy9 :

pls check and let me know

toughguy9 :

we donot have remote session.. otherwise I could have REMOTED to the computer and checked all the problems and fixed them pretty easily

toughguy9 :

Pls check for duplicates and leave feedback..

toughguy9 :

let me know if you have any further queries around duplicates problem

Customer:

It seems to have worked - thank you for your help. I have no problems with remote assistance - only the Vista loaded laptop is kept only as a photo-store and is no longer secure save as a stand-alone item. I am still unhappy about the fact that one does not seem to be able to prevent Gallery from duplicating images in general wherever the folders may lie but that to my mind must be a fault of the program and I would not expect you to solve it. It may be a problem with Vista which has many others.

toughguy9, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Data Recovery, Computer Hardware and Software