Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I can not get on-line with my HP laptop. a message on screen

Customer Question

I can not get on-line with my HP laptop. a message on screen says a xpcom file is missing. How can I replace it.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jack! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does your HP laptop have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

What is the name of your internet browser program you use on your HP laptop, such as Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon), or Google Chrome, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My laptop has windows 8.1 The browser is Mozilla Firefox

Can you test opening the program called Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon), and see if it internet/websites work in Internet Explorer program? Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have tried to download another browser( explorer) but get the same message.

You don't download, but you just open Internet Explorer program right? Let's try one possible fix:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, then check.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have tried to do system restore but can only restore to 14/12/2014, no other restore dates available. this restore date does not remedy the fault.

Sorry, when did this issue first occur? Can you please test this: press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard, then type iexplore then click OK. Then it would open the Internet Explorer program, then in that program, can you go to a website, such as google.com or yahoo.com? When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,

1. Can you go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features, then uninstall the Mozilla Firefox program
, then restart the computer

2. Then on a working computer, download and save the firefox file at the website below:
http://firefox.com/

3. Then transfer the firefox file to the problematic computer via a USB drive.

4. Then open the firefox file and install it
, then open Firefox program and see if you can use the Internet now.

When you are available, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so we can continue. Thank you