michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

I have been telephoned by

I have been telephoned by "Windows Technical Department" apparently in King Street, London E13, but I think calling from USA to tell me my computer is reporting malfunctions which they can show me, but wont tell me how to fix them. They know my address and Windows licence no. (which is more than I do). Apart from the fact I have difficulty understanding them are they likely to be right? I use Windows 7, but old versions of Word and Outlook. I get the odd problem from time to time but otherwise all seems to operate OK.
Any advice?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

This is a SCAM!

Microsoft will never call you. Just hang up on the person and don't give them any money or your bank account details!

If they have your address then they have been sold it by someone else.

There is no way that anyone can see what is on your computer unless a rogue malware (malicous software) has been placed on your computer by nefarious persons.

Just make sure that you have a good anti-virus programme on your computer and do all of the Microsoft updates which are usually released on the second Tuesday of every month (US West Coast time zone).

Here are articles that you can read about this scam

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/3378798/microsoft-phone-scam-dont-be-victim/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I have Norton Security, but am troubled I may have some virus since in typing my email address for your site just now "at" came up as " and to get "at" I had to type upper case 2. I still do. This is new. How can I stop it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No reply to follow up question
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
Please open notepad..type the @ sign and let me know if it types fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I'm afraid it still types as "

There are 2 possibilities
Either the key got stuck or some software setting got messed up
Dont worry we can together fix this
before i give you the steps, please not that you can reopen this page by opening just answer email and clicking on view answer
the system restore should reverse any changes to the system that might have caused the issue to occour.
click start...in the search box type system restore
in the window that appears, restore computer to earlier date and time and click next..you can check on show more restore points option at bottom to see more dates
select a date may be few days back when system was running fine and click next
follow the onscreen steps
once restore completes let me know the status
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not tried system restore yet because in other applications eg Word, Outlook and indeed another internet explorer window I find it works fine. May be if I just log out of Just Answer it will be OK??

yes
if it works fine everywhere else it could be the script on the page that could be causing it
do let me know if you have any other questions
Please click on a smiley face\stars to rate the service if your questions have been answered
Thanks for choosing just answer
Wishing you and your near and dear ones a Happy New Year
Experience: Indept expertise on MS Office package
Hello there,
I have answered your original question about being contacted by Microsoft.
Please rate my service.
If you have another problem then you should post another question.
If your @ sign is typing as a quotation mark then there's a good chance you have changed your keyboard from a UK keyboard to US keyboard.