Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have "Office Home

I have "Office Home and Business2010 on my Laptop and My Pc. My wife has it on her laptop. Her laptop is now very old and I would like to put it on her new PC. How can I do this as when I tried to reinstall from the disk it says max number of installations from the disk. 2010 is plenty good enough use as most we use "Outlook" mails. Dave XXX *****@******.***

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Have you uninstalled office from your wifes old laptop yet?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Not yet as She still needs it at moment

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I see.

Microsoft keeps track of your licenses in use so this is why you cannot install it as you only get the 3 installs.

What you are going to need to do is uninstall it from her old laptop before you install it on the new one.

Once you do that it should install no problem.

I would suggest you export any information you may need to transfer over. if she uses outlook you will need to export her PST file to transfer to the new computer after you install it.

Here are instructions if you need them on exporting the PST
https://support.office.com/en-sg/article/Export-Outlook-items-to-an-Outlook-Data-File-pst-14252b52-3075-4e9b-be4e-ff9ef1068f91?ui=en-US&rs=en-SG&ad=SG

As I said though you will not be able to install on the new computer until you uninstall from the old one so the license will be available and no longer in use.

If it is only outlook you are worried about make sure you export the PST before you uninstall. You will then be able to import it on the new computer so she will have all her mail and contacts and everything.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks Chris.

I am sure I can do this. Just one small question. What does PST stand for?

Dave.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

PST is personal storage table. This is a file that outlook stores all the data in like mail, contacts, folders, etc...

So it is important that you export that so you can import it on the new computer so she has all of her stuff from outlook.

It is a pretty straight forward process. I gave you instructions above on exporting it here are instructions on importing it:
https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Import-Outlook-items-from-an-Outlook-Data-File-pst-431a8e9a-f99f-4d5f-ae48-ded54b3440ac

Just follow those instructions and you should be fine.

Keep in mind depending on how much mail she has PST files can be quite big so you may need an external hard drive or USB flash drive to transfer the PST to the new computer.

If you have any trouble when you do this feel free to send me a message. You can reply to me anytime even weeks later and also after you rate my service.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris. Not sure what I am doing wrong BUT... I followed your instructions on down loading the info from Outlook and I can see on the screen the files being transferred to my usb stick. The same when I upload to the new PC I can see it up loading BUT when it has finished I cannot find the files.

also how do I transfer the address book?

Dave

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

Copy the PST file from the USB directly to the desktop of the new computer and then import it.

As address book, you will also need to transfer a file.

Follow these instructions on export/import
https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Export-contacts-625336d9-14e2-49a8-909d-02648989e4f0

But as not seeing the file on the new computer I think you just may not be looking in the right place.

Insert the USB stick. Next open windows explorer, this is the icon that looks like a folder. I am assuming you are using windows 8 or 8.1 on the new computer.

When windows explorer opens look under devices and drives.

You should see your USB drive.

Open it, and drag the PST to the desktop folder.

If this is windows 8 it can be super confusing, stay out of that new metro interface, you want to be working from the desktop like the older versions of windows.

If you still have trouble we can set up a time remote session and I will connect to the computer and help you. I am not sure my availablility at this time though because I am not really working today.

Give it a try again and let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris.

Have managed to down load both the contacts list (I think) and all the files. BUT getting them into the program that's something different again.

The Program is now showing when I switch on "IMAP server closed connection" when I switch any of the Computers on. My wife's laptop which I want to finish with. her new one when I switch on and also now my own PC which has not been touched.

Not quite sure where to go to from here.

No panic as I will be out Wednesday from 11.00am of day, but can make sure I am around all day Thursday 15th . Not sure where you are USA or UK? times are UK.

Dave.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

The import is the same as the export it is just that you will be choosing the import options instead of export.

You just wanna make sure you choose the correct files so remember copy the files to the new computer before you start the procedure.

Here are step by step instructions.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-contacts-b723c197-2c5b-48d6-8809-0fe7db13f97b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I am located in the US EST time zone and I should be available Thursday if you need help.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I cannot import either file Contacts or Outlook data files. Both are now on the desk top but I cannot get then to load into Outlook.

Thanks your help so far.

Dave

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

Any error message you are receiving when you try?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Hey Thanks a fast reply.

Right I am not sure what I did different on the last attempt BUT every thing is there. All now in address book so that will please Janette as she will not have to retype them all in. Yes I was not looking in the right place the folders, but some how I have a second lot of folders, the imported ones. there is a list of empty duplicate ones with nothing in them. Tried right click with the hope I could delete or remove them but nothing there to let me.

The only Error message that has appeared is the following when I am using Outlook to send or receive E Mails.

"Failed to update headers"

In details "It says"

Account *****@******.***n

IMAP command failed.

Protocol IMAP

Server mail.btinternet.com

port 993.

Every thing seems to be working OK though.

All I have done is cancelled the error box and every thing carries on working.

You will know better than me though.

Again thanks your help and patience through every thing.

Dave.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

Nice work. Those other errors like...

IMAP command failed.

Protocol IMAP

Server mail.btinternet.com

port 993.

Those have to do with the account settings. Make sure you don't have an account you don't need set up.

Check under file and accounts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris.

Thanks from me the help.

Just two last questions?

Why does the following keep coming up on my and Janette's new PC?

Your IMAP server closed the connection?

and when I switch on the pc some times

Failed to update headers.

No rush to reply as I am out all day Sunday as I have been all day to Day Saturday.

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Thanks all finished now, well happy with your help.

Not happy with your company though.???

It was around the 17th Jan when I thought I must ask if I should be paying any more money help?

I had reason to go to my bank account to check payment to another company only to find your company had just taken £30.00p with out asking or telling me.

I will inform both you and your company I am far from pleased about this.

I trust you will not take any more??

I w2ill not be dealing with your company again.

Dave XXX

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

I am sorry to hear what happened. Just so you are aware I am not an employee of this company and have no control or say over such billing issues. The site just acts as a middle man that connects people with computer problems to verified professionals.

I am going to send your question over to customer service and have them contact you. They will sort out any billing issues straight away. Remember the site operates on a 100% satisfaction guarantee, the site as well as myself stand by that guarantee.

Look to be contacted by customer service as soon as possible.

Thanks and sorry about what happened but as I said I have no control over anything on the billing end of things. I will have someone contact you and sort it.

-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Thanks help all is up and running now.

Dave

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Dave,

Thanks me know.

If you ever need me again let me know.

Thanks,
Chris