michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

On 31st May 2014 I bught a Laptop from Currys and paid for

Customer Question

On 31st May 2014 I bught a Laptop from Currys and paid Home and Student which was installed by Currys.
Later I lost the programme and reactivated it using the product key on my card.
Unfortunately this reactivation was treated as a new purchase and I was given a month's 'free trial' which has now expired and I am being asked to buy the programme again.
So, I no longer have access to a programme I have paid for.
Can you help?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
michelleclive :

, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

michelleclive :

please let me know the version of office home and student that you have installed

Customer:

Office Home and Student 2013

michelleclive :

ok and did you get a key trial version or full version

Customer:

I got a key in May when I bought the pc. I havenot had another one.

Customer:

That was thr fullversion

michelleclive :

ok and when did you reinstall the software

Customer:

I think December 8th.

michelleclive :

ok and did you download the program again from internet or install it from a disc

Customer:

From internet.

michelleclive :

ok..give me a moment

michelleclive :

thanks patience

Customer:

is ok

michelleclive :

i just checked on the possibilities of why the key might not work on your computer

michelleclive :

please let me know that when you bought the laptop, was the office software preloaded on it or you got a disc

Customer:

All I get is 'the month's trial has finished'

Customer:

I bought it May 31st with Office already loaded

Customer:

nodisc

michelleclive :

ok

michelleclive :

you must have only got a product key card(PKC)

michelleclive :

is that correct

Customer:

yes that'sright

michelleclive :

ok...

michelleclive :

now microsoft sells its programs in 2 forms...

michelleclive :

1. on a disc..you get the cd's and a product key..this can be used to reinstall the software and activate it any number of times your computer of the software crashes

Customer:

so?

michelleclive :

2. PKC(product key card) - the one you got

michelleclive :

the software is preloaded and the key on the PKC works just once

michelleclive :

so if you happen to reinstall the program the old key will not work

Customer:

So what do I do?

michelleclive :

now i will have to check how you can reurn this PKC and gte a new PKC or get a full license instead

michelleclive :

it will take a minute or 2 while i check how do we go about doing that...

Customer:

ok

michelleclive :

please bear with me while i check

michelleclive :

thanks

michelleclive :

Thanks patience

Customer:

no worries

michelleclive :

unfortunately, it seems that at time of purchase you were not informed about the difference between license discs and PKC

michelleclive :

the PKC you got was only time use

michelleclive :

the options you now have would be to either buy a new PKC..which would be again just time use..or you can buy a full license in which you would get the discs as well

Customer:

on my card wallet it says that if I need to download office again I should visit www.office. com/my account.

michelleclive :

the full license can be reinstalled and reactivated any number of times you want

Customer:

so it must be oossible

michelleclive :

did you register youa ccount with microsoft

Customer:

so why can I not reactivat?

Customer:

I am not sure as the store did the downloading.

michelleclive :

from that link you would only be able to downlaod the software again ...but will not be bale to reactivate

michelleclive :

to reactivate either you will have to buy another PKC or full license online

Customer:

Are you saying there is nothing I can do?

michelleclive :

unfortunately, the key you had was one time use only...

michelleclive :

this is something the retail store should have given you the option to choose from

michelleclive :

however there is one thing you can try

michelleclive :

since you got it in may, so its in 1 year of purchase

michelleclive :

i would suggest to check out with curry's and ask them to issue you a new pkc or the discs

michelleclive :

otherwise if you contact microsoft as per their license terms you will ahve to buy a new key

michelleclive :

i see you have rated me poor but i have shared the correct information...please understand that if some information was not shared with you at time of purchase, it will not be possible to activate an expired version of microsoft

michelleclive :

i would appreciate if you would reconsider rating my answer as i have shared the correct and true informaion

michelleclive :

i hope you understand that the limitation of PKC has not been designed by me but by Microsoft

michelleclive :

thanks just answer

Experience: Indept expertise on MS Office package
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The thing is Office reappeared on my laptop. So I thought maybe you had something to do with that. Because of that I regraded you and left a tip!

Office is now working fine.