The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I have a very long (2000 rows +) and v irregualr Excel

Customer Question

I have a very long (2000 rows +) and v irregualr Excel list in 1 column and need an Apple MS Excel 2011 macro triggered by a keyboard shortcut to copy item in to 3 columns i.e.
currently a set of thress items looks like-
B
1 alpha
2 beta
3 delta
4
5 charlie
6 bravo
7 mike
8
9
10
11 whisky
12 golf
13 lima
I need a macro to copy items starting from where cursor is put such that spreadsheet looks like ie copy B2 to BA and B3 to D3 so it looks like
B C D
1 alpha Beta Delta
2 beta
3 delta
and returns cursor to first item eg B1 ready to be manually moved down the next required set whuc might be B5 or B11 or might be another entry in the b column.
Just need ot done
David
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
My Name is***** will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask forCustomerin your question title for your future needs.

I would have to see an example sheet to sheet what if anything could be done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Andrew

Happy to send you sample spread sheet - please let m ehave an emai address

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so basically you want to have all values in column B

rearranged so that it forms a list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

want 3 items from a list in column B made in to 3 columns BCD

So in operation the aim is I will move cursorto say B10 and macro will copy B11 to C10 and B12 to D10 and return curso to B9. I will them delete B11 and B12 manually and move cursor manually to next location e.g B16 and run macro again etc etc

i will try to make things a little easier

let me ask a question on the file you sent me, the data is basically in the same format throught except for rows 40 - 44, there seams to be a bit of an issue there.

Is that the only anomaly and the rest of the data is esentially in thesame format?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The datais irregular in an iregular way if that makes sense. The macro literally need to copy the item below where the cursor is to the rght and the item below that to the right. so from

alpha

beta

delta

to

alpha beta delta

beta

delta

beta andd elta are then deleted manually and i move the cursor to the next set of three that i need the macro to transpose.

Is lot of junk in list and hence why only want the macro to do the copy net to eahc other thing - every thung else is manual ie locating the staring item and dletring the copied items

ok, I was going to try to automate it to go through and generate list ,but if you think it is too unregular. Then I can make it do it manually

Rather than deleting unless you really need to do that would be to have the macro make list on new sheet, unless you want to delete?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a quick and dirty data mining job. Happy to do all the deleting as part of the workflow.

The bit i cant do is the clever bit- transposing the data entry from column to row format. Been at job alll day and losing (lost) ability to type/explain :)

As long as macro turns any 3 item list in to a row - will be fantastic help and return cursor to initial position

please make sirt cur easy to use sicne will ned to use it may be 750 times !!

David

ok will do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

each operation of the macro starts and ends in the same place - that is where i move the cursor to - it al about saving the copy and paste key strokes

done:

http://ge.tt/9RWXNj82/v/0?c

just click the cell you want to start at, then press "Ctrl" + "M", I assume you have those keys on a mac. M is for macro

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE SMILEY FACES BENEATH THIS ANSWER

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andrew,

The good news os the macros bit works like a charm , the bad news is that Ctrl M closes the file is a reserved command mac thing apprantly could you give it another short cut say Ctrl B please

Othrwise is fantastic

David

do you know how to assign shortcuts to macros on a mac. it may be different on PC.

I could change it but not sure if it will carry through.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will sort it out . Thanks for you time

David

i will be happy to make a change if you get stuck

and ask a question right in my box,

The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks have a good weekend

David

u2, you know how to reach me in the future should you need my help on anything else