Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

my MS Access database has suddenly and without my knowingly

Customer Question

my MS Access database has suddenly and without my knowingly pressing any "wrong" keys decided to switch the columns around into a different order. Can you help me return the database back to its original design?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there,

Pete :

Does anyone else have access to the database apart from you?

Pete :

Is the database stored locally on your computer, or do you access it over a network?

Pete :

Do you have a backup of the database available that you can restore to?

Customer:

Nobody has access to my computer. It is stored on my computer at home. Yes I have a backup on a flash drive, but there has been a lot of data uploaded since the last back up. It is a database loaded with a one name study, and I am not able to identify which information has been added. New data is entered every day. If I use the flash drive to restore the original layout I will lose a lot of info. What I want is to simply rearrange the columns as before.

Pete :

Ok, are you able to drag and re-arrange the columns, or do you need remote assistance doing this?

Customer:

No I cannot drag and drop, I tried that. I'm not sure what you mean by "remote assistance". Do you mean for you to do it from your end?

Pete :

You can rearrange the order of the columns in Datasheet view or in Design view.
You can move a single column or a group of columns.

1. Select the column that you want to move. To select more than one column, drag the pointer until you have selected the columns that you want.
    Then do one of the following:

2. In Datasheet view, drag the selected columns horizontally to the position that you want.

3. In Design view, drag the selected columns vertically to the position that you want.

Pete :

Ensure you are in the appropriate view to be able to drag and drop the columns.

Pete :

If you are still unable to move the columns, then I can connect remotely and do it from my end for you.

Customer:

Thank you Pete for that advice. I will try your suggestions and get back to you. It may be that I will want you to help me from where you are. You do appreciate I am in the UK?

Pete :

Ok, I am also in the UK.

Customer:

Hallo again. Did not manage to execute the instructions you gave - couldn't move/drag the columns. However I have managed to put things back to original state. I inserted a new column into where the original used to be, then working alphabetically on the first column (names) selected each group (ie all starting with 'a', 'b', etc) right clicked and copied, then moved to the new inserted column and right clicked and pasted. Took me a couple of hours or so, not bad when you remember there are 30,000 names in the database. Many thanks for your time and help.