Terry G
Terry G, Programme Director
Experience:  Extensive experience of Excel, Powerpoint and Word particularly in the use of Excel macros and VB user forms.
81137986

I have over 8,000 pages of documents compiled in MS Office

Customer Question

I have over 8,000 pages of documents compiled in MS Office 2003 version which I am unable to read from CDs in MS Windows 8.1 - can you help please? If it is not possible to make documents compiled in MS Office 2003 to be read in  Windows 8.1 years of work on historical documents will have been wasted.

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Terry G replied 2 years ago.
Terry G :

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you with this issue. First of all, Office 2010 in Windows 8.1 should be able to open the documents. It usually opens them in compatibility mode. If this is not happening, there are a few questions that will help me to work out what the problem is.

Terry G :

Are the documents showing in the dialog box when you try to open them in the newer version of Word?

Terry G :

Also, can you see the documents in file explorer on the CD?

Terry G :

Terry G :

You could try right clicking the document in File Explorer and selecting 'Properties'. If there is an 'Unblock' button when you do this, click it and you should then be able to open the file in Word. However, this option/button does not appear on every version of Windows. If all else fails - another thing you could try is downloading 'Word Viewer' from the Microsoft Download Centre (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4). This should open earlier versions of Word documents as 'read only'. But you can copy and paste the text into a new Word document (in office 2010 0r 2013). I know that's a lot of copying and pasting, but at least you will have the information. Let me know how you get on with these options.

Terry G :

Another option, if you can access the files on the CD with File Explorer, is to use a free online converter, to convert them to PDF files. There are loads of these available (for example, http://www.freepdfconvert.com/. With these converters you can upload the Word document, convert it and then download the pdf file to your computer. Word 2010 and 2013 allow you to open pdf files so you can convert these to Word files and edit them if you need to. There are similar sites that convert Word files to text files but with the pdf converter, you retain most of the formatting. Let me know if you need help with any of these options.

Expert:  Terry G replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.