Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

OK I have a different Microsoft account to what my phone is

Customer Question

OK I have a different Microsoft account to what my phone is saying and i cant access my account on the phone to update whats app and i cant change user name on the the phone
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the make and model of your phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nokia lumia 720

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Trevor,
For your phone, the microsoft account is the primary one which the entire phone is linked to.
The only way to remove it is to reset the phone, and then as part of the setup, enter in the correct Hotmail account. This does wipe all data (Contacts, messages ect) and returns the phone to new, but this cannot be avoided, its the only way to change the primary account.
To do the reset, Disconnect your phone from the charger.
Press and hold the volume down key and connect the charger. An exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.
Press the following keys in order: volume up -> volume down -> power -> volume down.
Your phone resets and boots up automatically. This may take several minutes.
It will then go into the setup, as it will be a new phone and you then can enter the correct Hotmail account.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.