Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

up until 3 days ago I could use my hotmail account, but suddenly

Customer Question

up until 3 days ago I could use my hotmail account, but suddenly I was receiving message which said that my e-mail address coud not be verified and that I needed a new password. The e-mail went down on my PC (Windows 7) on my blackberry and my i-pad. I managed to restore my account on my PC but not on he other devices and I seem to be going round in circles. Can you help?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about the issue. Can you please confirm is ALL emails and data of your Hotmail account are intact? If so, then the said Hotmail account could have been setup as IMAP which means that it will sync data and similar data across all devices.
As a first step, I highly suggest that you delete or remove the Hotmail account first from your iPad then ADD it back using the new password ***** it shall work. Then do the same for the blackberry. If the account is setup as IMAP, after adding it back to your ipad or blackberry, all emails shall then re-sync.
Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have deleted the the Hotmail account from my i-pad nd then added it back. It willl not verify it is telling me that an identical outlook account aready exists. Added to this I now have now deleted all my e-mails. It is not apparent on the Blackberry how to delete the address and it now keeps locking me out for 15mins at a time.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Have you checked the same Hotmail account in your desktop to see if all of your emails and contacts are intact? You need to verify first if they are intact to conclude that the account was added as IMAP so all emails and contacts are intact in the webmail.
Now, regarding the iPad issue, the error tells us that another email account of the same name or ID is still present so please make sure that you remove the account first before adding it back.
By the way, are you using the Mail app in your iPad to access your Hotmail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked the the Hotmail account on the desktop and the emails and contacts are OK. I am using the mail app on the ipad to access Hotmail. I have remove the hotmail address from my ipad and it has clearded all of my current messages.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for that confirmation. By the time that the Hotmail account is added successfully in the iPad, all emails and contacts will re-sync.
Now, after removing the Hotmail account from the Mail app, please try to restart the ipad by turning it off then just turn it back on.
After restarting, please try to open the Mail app then add your Hotmail account again.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have restarted the ipad and when I tried to add the account I got the same message that an identical address already exists

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ann,
I am sorry about the persisting issue. In your Mail app, do you have other email accounts other than the Hotmail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have an address a gmail account that I rarely use but it is current.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Ann for that information.
Are you using a computer now to communicate with me? Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly assist you in checking and fixing your Hotmail account security settings that could have caused this problem?
In this case I highly recommend using a computer in checking the security options setup for your account that affect the mobile devices's access to your Hotmail.
Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($10.99) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using my computer at the moment and you may remotely access it.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access.
In the remote session, I can check and verify your Hotmail account settings that could have blocked your mobile devices from accessing your account.
Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. At this point, we can use Team Viewer.
Please click on this link:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
In that page, please DO NOT click on the big green "Download" button. Instead, please click on the link that says "Join Remote Control Session" and you shall be able to download the remote tool for free.
After downloading, RUN the tool and then give me the 9-digit ID and the password ***** you will see in the small team viewer window so that I can remote in. Also, DO NOT close the small team viewer window so that I can remote in.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't seem to be able to download the remote tool

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Is your computer running Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or a Mac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation, and I believe the link that I gave you should work.
Here is the link again:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
In that page, please DO NOT click on the big green "Download" button. Instead, please click on the link that says "Join Remote Control Session" and you shall be able to download the remote tool for free. The file is named QuickSupportQS.exe.
If you are stuck in any of the steps above, please let me know so that I can help you from there.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ID 519 830 662

PASSWORD *****

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ann,
Thank you for the digits, we are almost there. However, did you close the small team viewer window? I tried to connect using the ID you gave me and it says you are not running team viewer. It is either you closed team viewer or the ID is incorrect.
Please open it again and keep it open then give me the NEW password.
Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'M NOT SURE IF i CLOSED IT BEFORE THE NEW PASSWORD ***** *****

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Ann, I am now connected and will work with you to fix the problem.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for your patience. The issue has been resolved through remote access. The main cause of the problem is that your Hotmail account's 2-step verification was turned on so you needed to use an APP password ***** an added security layer. You need to enter the original password ***** and then you will be prompted for the security code which is the App password.
In your case of the ipad, you needed to enter the App password ***** of the original password ***** as you mentioned, you were NOT prompted for the security code but only the password *****
Now that the 2-step verification was turned OFF, you can add your Hotmail account to your iPad and blackberry normally using the password ***** you have been using to login to your Hotmail account in the Windows 7 computer.
Thank you. If you need further assistance with this, we can resume with the remote session tomorrow approximately 8 to 10 hours from now.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I had to leave you. I am back online now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your patience and expertise. Regards Ann-Marie
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for writing back. Have you tried to add the Hotmail account on your iPad and blackberry already?
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now added hotmail to the ipad. The phone is proving more difficult but I think I am nearly there. Once again thank you for your help.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,
Thank you for writing back and I am glad that your Hotmail is now working on your iPad. After the 2-way verification was turned off, your Hotmail password ***** be accepted in all your devices.
Thank you for using our service.
Best regards,
Jess