Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Overnight my Works documents have had their font appearance

Overnight my Works documents have had their font appearance altered. They now look very faint with the the characters ill defined. The same happens on new documents. The font is Times New Roman 12. The problem only occurs in Works and Notepad; other programs appear to be OK. Any ideas? I have hundreds of documents which are now very difficult to work with!
Martyn Owen
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the version of windows your using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi!

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (x32)

Martyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks Martyn
First step I want to do is undo any corruption that may have occurred.
To do this we will do a system restore. This will not touch your personal files.
To do this, close all programs
Click start, type in
system restore
press enter.
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a restore choosing the last restore point.
Once it has completed, check and tell me if you still have the problem.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

System Restore completed but problem still there!

Martyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you print, does it print correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oddly enough it does!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you sure its not the screen that's faulting?
Can you open it on another device and see if its the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by another device. I only have this computer and only one VDU.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, another device is computer.
I think your monitor is the problem Martyn, as if it prints correctly, then the file is ok.
Check the cable on the monitor and make sure it is tightly connected to the computer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All monitor connections OK, and resolution of other programs normal.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?
It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ID is 5 3 0 3 9 1 4 8 5

PWD is 3 1 4 0

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What happened?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It should have connected me again but didn't so I had to wait here for you.
Are you in the new account I made?
How does the font look there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The new account would not let me in so I reverted to my old one to keep the line going

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What happened when you tried to enter the new account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was an error message each time I tried - something about a login problem

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is likely part of the whole problem
Go to Control Panel, User Accounts and make a new user again and try to log into that one.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No luck I'm afraid, just the same error message which I made a note of: The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is all part of the problem I think Martyn
Do the below
First, can you turn off the computer
turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Safe Mode.
This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).
Once in, click Start, and type in
System Restore
Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.
Once completed, tell me if you have the font problem please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about yesterday. I had to go out mid morning and returned late evening. Back all day now though.

Tried the Safe Mode restore but no change. Discussed the situation with my wife last night and decided to buy another PC, probably a laptop, and keep this for Internet etc. We really need another PC because she is using the internet more and more.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

Martyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Martyn
The fact that a new user account could not be created points to corruption within windows, so it might be worth while to resintall windows.
If you tell me the make and model of the computer I can instruct how, else if you just wish to keep it the way it is I can understand, just make sure to regularly back up your data from it (check out www.dropbox.com which can do this for you online).
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues