Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Had a telephone call this a,m, which was answered by my wife.

Had a telephone call this a,m, which was answered by my wife. The caller said he was from Microsoft and there is a virus, a lot of viruses on her computer. My wife told the caller she only had an eye pad but no computer and terminated the call. The "gentleman", probably Indian judging by the accent, rang back immediately complaining that the 'phone had been put down by my wife. My wife does not terminate a 'phone call unless the caller is abusive. The foreign sounding caller then said he would turn off the computer and we would not be able to use it again. THIS CALLER HAS THREATENED US BEFORE QUITE A NUMBER OF TIMES - BUT USUALLY ME. My wife does not use my computer and wouldn'nt know how. Would you please confirm that the call was not from Microsoft and the man who cold called cannot interfere with my computer please. If he can would you please let me know how I can prevent interference by this person.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. I confirm that the call was not from Microsoft. The caller cannot interfere with your computer if you did not install any program that the caller asked you. That was a scam; the caller was pretending to be from Microsoft. No support company or Microsoft would ever call you for any computer support (you would contact a support company yourself first if you have any computer issue.) This is a scam in order to get your money and/or your account passwords, etc. Please never respond to any phone call or email message that you do not know or are not expecting.

Here is full information from Microsoft about phone scams:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you have any further question, please reply back. If not, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you,