IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

We have just collected our new iMac and we have transferred

Customer Question

We have just collected our new iMac and we have transferred everything including Microsoft Office from our external hard drive. Initially I could open documents such as Excel, and Word but could not modify them, now they will not work at all. I have spoken to an Apple customer support person but she was unable to resolve it. I bought the software as a download so do not have discs to re-load - this iMac does not have a disc drive anyway.
I have the product number which is BMCYJ 9Y3BJ QH6Y9 6M4TQ YP9J6.
Hope you can help.
Brian Shaw
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please do the following:

1. Start Microsoft Word

2. Click on Help and then Check for Updates

3. Choose any option there and click the Check for Updates button

4. Install all updates and then restart your computer

Check if that helped.

Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will not actually start Word - the message comes up saying Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close - sorry for the inconvenience.

Brian Shaw

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

What is the version of Microsoft Office you purchased?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft 2011 + updates

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
It is possible to re-download the installation files for Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac so that you can re-install it which should solve the problem you are experiencing.

Please click on the following link and click on the Get Started button:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office-2011-digital-download

There enter your product key and you will be able to re-download Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

Before you re-install it, uninstall the current version and restart the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The download appeared to go smoothly but when I try and enter figures into the spreadsheet - it shuts down and I get a message Excel has encountered a problem etc.....!

Brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
It looks like this is a problem with Microsoft Office settings that remained even after re-installation.

Because of that, I suggest you to completely remove all Microsoft Office-related files and then re-install it again.

Please click on the following link to see how to completely remove all Microsoft Office files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Let me know if that helped solve the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still not working - I hope I am not paying for this download I have already paid - I have a product number after all!

Brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Strange - that should have worked.

What method did you use to first install Microsoft Office onto iMac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was an on line download from Amazon.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Do you still have that download saved, for example on your external hard disk drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There seems to be a 'copy' on the external hard drive but the original is missing however there is still a version on our old iMac which is still here.

Brian

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried installing from that copy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please note I have cancelled my subscription to Just Answer. As I didn't manage to get Office to work but all my documents have migrated to Pages, Numbers and Keynote and I appear to have lost Office completely.

Brian