WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Microsoft Office Specialist
21171802

I am working on a large document in word 2013. I have collated

Customer Question

I am working on a large document in word 2013. I have collated the chapters and made a table of contents. The page numbers go up to about page 140 and then the next page is 11. I think it is something to do with a chart on that page.
I have taken the chart out, but it still doesn't help.
Second question. The table of contents has some text from the document in it. If I delete it, the content in the chapter is deleted. How can I get rid of it?
I'd really appreciate your help. Deadline looming. Thanks
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
WesPCDr :

I've seen this problem before. You can have Word reset the page numbering.

WesPCDr :

Let me know when you are ready to start.

WesPCDr :

Right click on the page number "11" that you want to reset.

WesPCDr :

Click Format Page Numbers

WesPCDr :

Under Page Numbering, select Continue from Previous Section

WesPCDr :

If that's already selected, try changing the start at page number to 141

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Thanks. This is really strange. I now have the page numbers starting at 141 from the beginning and stopping at the same place as before. It just doesn't want to go beyond this page. But why has it started from the beginning at 141

WesPCDr :

Does the next page 141 or start over agian?

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

I now have the pages started from 141 from the beginning, they get to 282 (the same place as before) and then the next page is 19.

WesPCDr :

There must a column problem that Word has a problem with. The only way to fix it is to check each page.

WesPCDr :

Make a backup copy and delete pages before and after the problem to see if you can identify the page giving the problem.

WesPCDr :

Sometimes it's caused by numbered bullet columns as well.

WesPCDr :

Or reset the numbering on each page that has the issue.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Sounds stupid, but how do I delete a page? I can delete the text but does that do the job?

WesPCDr :

Yes. That is how to do it. Delete the text.

WesPCDr :

Make sure to work from the backup copy so you don't edit the original.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Better! The glitch has gone at the particular spot, but the page numbering starts from 12. What's happening?

WesPCDr :

Is there a table or numbered bullet on that page?

WesPCDr :

Also, check to see if the page numbering is set to Continue from previous section

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

I deleted it. There was.

WesPCDr :

Great

WesPCDr :

Try removing it from the original document, you will most likely need to manually re-create it to get rid of the formatting.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Looking better. Thanks. If I now reinsert the text and chart that I deleted what do you reckon will happen?

WesPCDr :

It might go back to the way it was. Try it to see if it works.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Ok, I'll do that. Second question. Why have I got some text from the document (not a heading) inserted in the table of contents? Weird. If I delete it, the text in the document deletes.

WesPCDr :

It text format might be the same as one of the styles that the Table of Contents so it reads the text. Try selecting some of the text and see what the formatting is set to. It should be set to Normal or anything else except for Heading 1,2,3,4,

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Oh no. Actual page numbers on document are looking better. But on table of contents they are starting from 142. Help

WesPCDr :

You might have to Update the table of contents as well.

WesPCDr :

Right-click on the table of contents and choose Update

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

How do I do that? Sorry, this is not something that I have done before. Deadline approaching. Stressed.

WesPCDr :

If you don't see that, you should see Update Table if you hover over the table of contents.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Ok, have updated. Second question??

WesPCDr :

For the second question: Try selecting some of the text and see what the formatting is set to. It should be set to Normal or anything else except for Heading 1,2,3,4, etc

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

May have sorted it. Third question. Sorry! Similar one. At the end of the appendices, I have put the participant consent form in appendix G. Then below it, it says, 'participant consent form'. Again, if I delete it, the whole thing disappears.

WesPCDr :

This is the same issue. Some of the text might not be set to the Header 1 style. Highlight the text you want to show up in the table of contents and select the Formatting to be Header 1.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Sorry, this one is being tricky. The appendix label is fine. Then the extra one seems to be a different heading (3). But if I delete it, same thing happens. It all disappears

WesPCDr :

Set that text to Normal and see if that works.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

No afraid not. Just can't see what is going on.

WesPCDr :

Can you delete it like before and then try to add it back by re-typing it. Maybe it will remove the formatting issue.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Hold on, I'll give it a go

WesPCDr :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

disaster. I can't retype it as it's quite a complicate document (only 2 pages). But when I copy and paste it back in, it comes up with all sorts of mess.

WesPCDr :

OK. Just undo to get back where it was.

WesPCDr :

That third question is hard to troubleshoot without the document in front of me.

WesPCDr :

Are you able to send it to me or is it confidential?

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Getting better. But it's a letter with a university logo etc at the top. It is now copying in, but not on the same page as the heading. Progress though

WesPCDr :

Excellent

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

So, what should I do? Appendix title at the top. Blank page, then the text. ??

WesPCDr :

Put the cursor right after the Appendix title and press enter to get to a new line.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Also, page number now in the middle of the text on this particular document.

WesPCDr :

Press the DELETE key slowly until the blank page is gone.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Got the new line. But the document still goes to the next page

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

When I click on the material, it is surrounded but a dotted line. Does that help you?

WesPCDr :

no. sorry

WesPCDr :

Keep pressing DEL or backspace to remove any blank spaces

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

You might have done it!! I think I might have got it cracked. Hold on while I just check the first issue. Please don't go away!

WesPCDr :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

I think I am ok. Thanks a million, you are a genius. What happens if I need you again. Highly likely

WesPCDr :

Great! You can always request me next time.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Hi, are you still there? Got one minor question on the table of contents. I have a rogue item which I can't get rid of.

WesPCDr :

Sorry. My internet shut off for a while. We're getting snow in Virginia. More than expected.

WesPCDr :

Must have kicked off the power and reset my router.

WesPCDr :

For the rogue item, try to find that text in the document by doing a search and then delete it.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Sorry, I don't want to delete it. It's an important part of the text, but it shouldn't be in the toc. It's a heading 4 and I haven't included them

WesPCDr :

The table of contents uses the Heading style. You will need to change the style of the text to normal, then format the text size and color manually.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Done that. It now comes up in the toc without any number. Just the title. ??

WesPCDr :

Did you update the table?

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

yes

WesPCDr :

Ok. Try highlighting just one word (not in the table of contents), but in the text on the page and see if the style is normal.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

ok, just wait a moment

WesPCDr :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Done that. All normal. Changed it again to heading style 4. Still in the toc. Strange

WesPCDr :

Try pressing Ctrl+Click on that text in the Table of Contents to see if it takes you to the same area of text in the document.

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Just seen something. It keeps on reverting to heading style 3. I can't get it to go to style 4

WesPCDr :

I would then retype the text below it and delete the top part of the text giving the problem.

WesPCDr :

Then format as needed.

WesPCDr :

Or move your mouse all the way to the left of that line. When it turns into an arrow pointing to the right, then click to highlight that line.

WesPCDr :

Then change the formatting to Normal or a different style

JACUSTOMER-2qbk9boc- :

Bingo. I can't thank you enough.

WesPCDr :

Great. You're welcome.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now made a list of figures and a list of tables. It all looks fine but neither of them will update, so the page numbers are wrong and there is one item missing. Can you help

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
You'll need to post as a different question and an expert will be able to help. I'm not available now, sorry.