Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I need help in trying to get rid of error code 80072F8F as

I need help in trying to get rid of error code 80072F8F as I have not had any updates since 19/11/14. I have tried everything I know and I have been on Microsoft QA but the answer to my problem is too technical for me as I'm bound to mess up.It recommends that one needs to remove Microsoft Update and Bits then reinstall them.Surely there is a much more easier way? Your views on this would be appreciated. Regards. A. XXXXX

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
I want you to do the following please
Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and try to install the update.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried to download updates without success.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks Alan
Just need to check, were you able to do my instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I carried out your instructions and when I tried to download up dates I received " Windows could not search for updates"

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options.
Then click the Connections tab and then LAN Settings.
From the LAN Settings, under Proxy Server, check “Use a proxy server for your LAN…” then you can click the Advanced button.
Enter in the values
HTTP: 127.0.0.1 Port: 8888
Secure: 127.0.0.1 Port: 8888
Exceptions:
Like in this picture
Click me to view
After that, go back an try to run Windows Update again
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard, I changed the Proxy settings and tried to Download updates, it came back as above.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Click on the time in the bottom right, is it set correctly and the date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I check the time and date first thing and all is correct

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
do the following please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to install the update
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,I've just finished completing your last assignment and the end result is still the same.

Alan

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
When did this error start Alan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The error started on the 15 November 2014

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?
It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HERE IS THE INFO YOU WANT

MY ID XXX

XXX

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I connect again please Alan
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I will need the new password ***** gives you please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard, I still have Team viewer open and I do not have a new password. I've lost half of my desk top including my email and at the moment I'm using my laptop.I see at the bottom of the connection that it waiting authentication and the only password ***** that is 1 6 3 7 which I believe was the one I sent before?

You can still contact me on my laptop using email *****@******.***

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** on now
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Alan
to do the repair, please follow these instructions
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm
Once the repair is done, let me know if it then updates please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,many thanks for your help with my problem.I tried what you suggested regarding Windows Repair, but that was unable to resolve the problem, so I did a complete disk clean and re-installed the O/S and all's well now.Back to normal.

You worked hard and I fully appreciate what you did,many thanks and all the best.

Regards.

Alan XXXXX.