Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

my toshiba computer is telling me i am not using genuine windows

Customer Question

my toshiba computer is telling me i am not using genuine windows 7.can you explain why after have been using this for the last 3 years with windows 7 i.e. since new. 0
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When exactly is it telling you it is not a genuine windows installation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no specific times -just occasionally whilst using my laptop a pop up appears on screen informing me i am not using genuine windows.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is the only background black and you cannot change this and you see the non genuine message in the bottom right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i cant be sure as it hasn,t displayed the message for a few days but my windows 7 product i.d. is 00359-oem-8992657-00017.can you now advise how to correct this problem as no windows7 updates have been done since 14/11/2014 when i checked.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if the background is not black, it is genuine.
For the update issue, go to Start, Control Panel, Updates.
Look at the list of available updates, and find KB3004394
right click and select ignore
Then attempt the updates.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i right clicked on update KB3004394 i did not see an option to "ignore only to "copy details or "hide updates"please advise further. also i do not wish to subscribe to any of the 3 options shown, merely to get the missing updates installed.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, choose Hide Updates please
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

attempted to scan after following your instructions but although the scan was appearing to be updating to scan -all updates failed.what next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
what was the error code now that it gave?