Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

How to open a form from a query in microsoft access databa

Customer Question

How to open a form from a query in microsoft access database
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, you want a form to open where you put in criteria, click a button and it opens the query that gets the criteria values from the form?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I open the database it opens in contact list view; I want to use the forms in Contact Details and enter a query in the Go To search box, for instance a customer address, and the form with that address will open and show all of the details on the form from the record.

The database recognises only one field in the search box at the moment, I wish to add three more fields, such as search by postcode, by address and by name.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I look at the file William?
Will be easier
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

File ID 501508

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So you wish to have 3 more boxes in the form and it will look at all three boxes to get the results William?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have attached the Access form and list view of my database, as you can see all of the fields are complete including the boxes on the form, but they will not bring up the details on any particular form by inserting the file name etc in the search box, I want to set the query to search for at least three more details to bring up the form needed.

Attachment: 2015-03-09_120140_screen_shot_access_contact_list_view.docx

Attachment: 2015-03-09_120311_screen_shot_access_form_view.docx

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so instead of it showing the Contact Name, Company and Email you want also to add in the drop down box postcode and address?
Sorry I am not really following what you want William. It has a drop down box and you select someone and it shows this in the form, so how will you want this to be different?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have attached another form which shows the details of the contact; this database will only bring up these details when typed into the name box on the top left, the query is only linked to that name box.

I want the query to also link and bring up the same information if I type in the file reference, or the client address.

That means when I open up a blank form and type in a name, or a file ref, or an address, it will bring up the form with all of the details on that record

Attachment: 2015-03-09_124114_access_database_in_form_view.docx

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you mean the Go To box, then you need to add additional Go to boxes William, one for each field you want to use for selection, as the Go to Box can only be linked to one field.
So add two additional go to Boxes to display File Ref and Address and use these for the fields.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cant find anything relating to adding go boxes to the form on Microsoft help, can you point me in the right direction.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you want, I can do it all for you as an additional service William and you need to do some programming.
I have made the offer.
Else you can follow the instructions here
https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Create-a-list-of-choices-by-using-a-list-box-or-combo-box-70abf4a9-0439-4885-9099-b9fa83517603?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB
Let me know please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to con firm, before you do the programming, will the extra Go To boxes be on the form when it is open and how will you be able to put this on my database, will it be by remote access?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I will do it directly on your program
You want them on this form correct William?
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Customer/2015-03-09_124114_access_database_in_form_view.docx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's correct, can you put three additional Go to boxes? thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, no problem
Please give me the latest version of your program and I will do this William
- Upload the file to that website
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

File ID Number(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** at this now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Fields for the Go Boxes are , Works Address-Resident name-and Our Ref. Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
This is now done for you William and you can download it under ID 964730
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have downloaded the file but it will only search by the first and second name in the Go To box, if I put in the file ref in the Go To box the error pop up comes up with you entered text that isn't in the item list

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure your looking at the right box, if you click it you now see Work Address in the list correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes that correct, but I cannot type into the Go To box*****/em>

and bring up the form with all the details for than address I have attached a screen shot of what happens when I search for items in the fields that you have inserted

Attachment: 2015-03-11_182545_screenshot_form.docx

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so you also want to match on typing
I have added that here for you
You can get it on ID 411580
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's working fine now Many thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome William
If you need anything else, please let me know