IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

MY NORTON INTERNET SECURITY IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT, MY BROADBAND

MY NORTON INTERNET SECURITY IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT, MY BROADBAND IS WITH
VIRGINMEDIA.BEING A CUSTOMER. I CAN HAVE THIER SUCURITY FREE FOR 12months.
ITS CALLED. F-SECURE. I HAVE REG WITH THEM, BUT I AM BEING STOPPED FROM
DOWNLOADING IT? I HIT THE DOWN LOAD TAG, THEN UP POPS AT THE BOTTOM OF
PAGE. VIRGINMEDIADOWNLOADER HAS DELATED DUE TO VIRUS. THIS HAPPENS TO
ALL DOWNLOADS' I CAN NOT EVEN GET YOUR UPDATES, YET THE BOX IS TICKED
TO ALLOW ALL UPDATES FROM YOU. F-SECURE TRIED TO SORT IT FOR ME BUT FAILED
THEY SAID IT SEEMS TO BE A MICROSOFT PROBLEM. TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU
IME AFRAID IME A PENSIONER SO AM NO COMPUTER EXSPERT. AM ALSO SLOW??/
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please try to download F-Secure once again. If it gets deleted again, let me know the exact message you see.

Also, let me know if you use Internet Explorer for browsing the web pages or another web browser such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried to once again download. failed. the following comes up at bottom of page===VIRGINMEDIANETWORKINSTALLER.

C-T6XRD-QXG72-AUF4C-EQ46Q. EXE CONTAINED A VIRUS AND

WAS DELETED

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Do you use Internet Explorer as web browser? It has a blue e icon that looks something like this:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SORRY. YES THATS IT

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!

All browsers use a basic, built-in anti-virus scanner to scan finished downloaded files. It seems that the settings for that anti-virus scanner had been modified, thus, the files are automatically rejected or deleted when you attempt to download them.

Here is what to do to disable that built-in anti-virus scanner for Internet Explorer:

1. Exit all Internet Explorer windows (you can come back to this web page later)

2. Click the Windows Start button and type regedit into the search box. When you see a green regedit icon in the search results, right-click it and select Run as administrator

3. It will start the Registry Editor. Expand registry keys (folders) there to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Attachments

4. When you click the Attachments registry key, check the right side of the window. There you should see a registry item (REG_DWORD) named ScanWithAntiVirus. It is probably set to 3. You will need to change it to 1, so double-click it and enter 1 in the Value data box

5. Exit Registry Editor

Now restart your computer for changes to take effect. When your computer restarts, you should be able to download F-Secure and any other file.

Let me know the results.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Were you able to follow the instructions? If so, did it help?