Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Photos on 8.1 cannot now view photos full page. Was able

Photos on 8.1
cannot now view photos full page.
Was able to before I went on holiday 2 weeks ago
photos now display centred on screen but occupy about 3/4 of it. Quality is fine still.
Cannot now access PHOTOs system and pretty sure this was the system I was using previously. Whilst the icon is still showing it cant be accessed, either on the APPs screen or with Open With
Now using Windows photo viewer
Having no problems downloading from my Nikon camera and process looks the same.
Migrated some months ago from 8.0 and bought my laptop with 7.
Only thing that I can see that has changed is that I installed a new camera disc on holiday, a 4g ultra HD
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If your viewing the photos in the windows photo app, click on Slideshow and it will show it in full screen
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not so. Slide show display is the same as accessing a single photo

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
In which program is it opening in Les?
What name do you see at the top?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

opening in windows photo viewer

not sure what you mean by 'what name etc'

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
you see the middle circle, between the arrows at the bottom center of the photo, click that and it sends it to full screen
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

works for individual photo and used this to create desktop background.

But it does not extend to all photos and cant be used for slide show

or have is misunderstood what you want me to do?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
how do you mean does not extend to all photos?
If you press left and right they should also appear in full screen when you click it Les. You do not get this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Think you are talking of the 3rd panel in from left that has a square and triangles pointing in on all four sides.

I can use this to extend photo to full size and then do the same for the next and so on.

But this does not save the extended photo, so going back to the previous one you see the reduced width again

I tried this myself and found that it is not the solution

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No Les, the circle at the bottom middle with a square in it, is what I am referring to, this makes it full screen,
Like in this picture
http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/7eaf462a-86dd-42d2-a789-7413f5472dae_63.jpg
The circle between the two arrows
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope.

This does appear to increase photo width a little and invoke slide show.

but it does not fill the screen with the photo

So, is it that I have forgotten what photos looked like before the hol? I thought they filled the whole screen when I clicked each one

and slide show achieved the same thing for the whole file

Not going to respond again tonight

thanks

Les

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The photos is not going to fill the whole screen unless its dimensions are the exact same size as the screen which is rare.
The view will be full screen Les, and this is what your seeing. That button forces full screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Changed my mind and another response but this is the last tonight. I think I am at the solution but I still wonder why I cant still use PHOTO or has it been overtaken by the other systems?

It still leaves the question why a photo does not fill the whole screen when I create the desktop background. Before the hol this used to happen without any alteration to the individual photo

Les

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I don't know which program you mean with Photo Les, but on a photo, right click, select open with and click Default Program. Then choose which of the programs you want to open it with.
For the background, you need to choose Stretch or Fill. So on the background screen where you set the background, choose Stretch or Fill and this makes it fit the whole background.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

Tried right clicking default programme but this says 'theres a problem with Photos'

Am I right in thinking that you use Graphics Control to change scale on desktop? When I hover on scaling ? it says 'select screen scaling from list' but there is no list.

See screen prints

Tried to do this but failed. Opened 'paste from word' and pasted in screen prints of open with and graphics but nothing happened.

Feeling dim!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, you select Stretch or Fill Les, to make the background take up the whole screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now achieved the desktop photo filling (personalize/desktopbackground/stretch.

However, didn't have to do this before, when Photos available.

have tried two possible remedies from the Microsoft Community to recover Photos, including rebuilding the Index, but neither have worked.

Is Photos still available? If it is I would like to try it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by Photos Les?
Are you referring to a program? Because the default Microsoft program is the one we have been dealing with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried to send a screen print of the Photos tile but reply system said it was too large so rejected it.

mentioned this before. The Photos tile is blue/white with a sun at top right over what could be a house and smaller garage to the right. I assume that this is a windows system because I have never downloaded any other photo system and there is no system called Photos in Programmes.

If I select Photos with Open With I get the message ' there's a problem with Photos. Contact your system administrator etc'. I get the same message if I try to set Photos as default.

I am now using Windows Photo Viewer.

Hope this is clear

Les

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you make a screen shot and upload it via my below instructions please
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Richard but no idea how to do this.

I did a search and got the display with Photos at the top

did a screen print (just hit the print screen key)

went into Wikisend.com but it wants a file number and don't know where to get this

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?
It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just going to have some lunch so will do this after 1

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 1 7 8 0 4 4 7 7

8 9 0 8

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you waiting for me to do something?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connected
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues