jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support
Experience:  Network Administrator
2888018

I have 16GB of RAM installed in my PC, but although the task

Customer Question

I have 16GB of RAM installed in my PC, but although the task manager and the PC recognises that 16GB are installed, it tells me there is only 7.9GB usable and 8.1 GB reserved. I have gone into msconfig and made sure the box is unchecked in the "boot" "advanced options" tab. please help
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Greetings

There's two reasons this can happen. RAM compatibility, or AMD's turbo settings in the bios.

Please post back your motherboard model#, and the type (or types/brand) of memory.

Furthermore, comfirm your system is AMD.

And I'll guide you from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

motherboard is ASUS absxm-a (think thats the model number i am looking at?) and the RAM is Kingston. 2 sticks of 8 (kit of 2 16GB)

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I've been trying to find pictures for that model of what the bios looks like but I've been unsuccessful so I'll try to guide you through it.

You need to get into the bios, should be the DEL key when first turning your computer on, at the Asus splash screen. Some of them are F10, but I believe that one is DEL. It should also say what key access to the bios or the "setup"

From there, it'll probably under advanced options/processor. Locate AMD Turbo, and set it to disabled.

Depending on the firmware it may be go into MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.B.I.T.). Then go into Advanced Frequency Settings. And you'll see the turbo there.

Either way, put it to disabled (enabled by default). And make sure to SAVE settings on exit (f10), and it'll restart. Then check your memory again to see if its all available. If not, just reply to me and we'll go forward. Make sure to give me time to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't find turbo anywhere model number is ***** I tried advanced options, but still can't see it

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
We'll come back to that. In the meantime we'll update your bios.

What version of Windows are you using? 7, 8, etc? Obviously 64-bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

8.1 pro

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Ok the good news is there were bios updates that address memory compatibility, so this may be the issue (remember I mentioned compatibility earlier) regardless of the turbo.

It's a little tricky and it will take me a few minutes to write up. So in the meantime, locate a flash drive as you'll need one to be able to launch their bios updater tool.

I'll post instructions as soon as they are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an external hardrive, but no flash drive. will that work?

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Here's the manual, you should look at it (section 2.1.4) and print those 3-4 pages if possible. You'll want them for reference so you can do this exactly as it requests and it'll make more sense. You'll need a flash drive, and the motherboard's support cd (likely driver cd), which has a DOS environment boot for it. Also I just read your message before posting this, yes an external hard drive will also work. You just need somewhere to store the files.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/A85XM-A/E8004_A85XM-A.pdf

Here's the bios utility that needs to be extracted, and copied to a flash drive.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Bupdater_V130.zip

And here's the actual bios file that it will reference, also should be copied to flash drive:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/A85XM-A/A85XM-A-ASUS-6603.zip

Now I'm just going to shorthand the steps (they are in more detail in the manual which you should reference).

1) restart to computer, tap f8 to choose boot order. Insert flash drive before starting computer. The flash drive should have the updated utility AND the bios file, already unzipped and copied to it.

2) Choose dvdrom as boot device to access the support cd.

3) From the dos prompt, navigate to the flash drive. It can be any drive letter but it will likely be d:. So you'll type d: and hit enter.

4) Run the updated by typing it's name and hitting enter. bupdater.exe and hit enter. If it doesn't find any file, then switch to C: (C: and hit enter) and type it again and hit enter. Try again with E:. It will be one of those letters, but it changes based on how many hard drives you have, etc. Furthermore, be sure when you unzip the bupdater, that you navigate to the files and copy the two files directly to the flash drive (not the folder where the files reside)

5) Once the updater is running, tell it where the new bios file is located (also on the flash drive). There's pictures in the manual.

Continue on, let it update, when it's finished it'll restart. When it's updating it's absolutely crucial you let it finish. I can't stress this enough. Only restart when it's ready to. The utility will backup the current firmware, so this process can be reversed if something goes wrong.

If you get stuck anywhere, and you're not in the bios updating portion, just get back to me and i"ll try to guide you in.

This is an advanced process, but relatively harmless if you follow the directions.

I'm also going to post a few DOS commands to assist you.

Drive letter changes are x: hit enter. X beign the letter
Directory listings are dir hit enter.
Changing directories, cd nameoffolder hit enter.
Dropping down a directory, cd.. and hit enter.
Dropping down to root drive path, cd\ and hit enter.

This dos should support DOSkey (name completion), where as if I type BUP and hit tab, it will auto complete the rest of the name.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don't have the support cd. can i complete this without it?

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Asus will make you buy it (not available online) and have it shipped to you.

If you had a flash drive I could guide you through making a dos boot disk since that's all you need. Do you have a cd/dvd burner? That would work as well, but it's a bit more tricky.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don't have any blank cds/dvds. i only have my external harddrive

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
You're going to need a flash drive then. It's your easiest bet. For what Asus will charge you (probably 20$'s), and 4g flash drive will cost like 5. Furthermore it's faster, and the tool you can use to write a dos boot flash drive is super easy to use, whereas burning one is more complicated.

There's no time limit on this question (bookmark or favorite the page), so I'd recommend you purchase a flash drive from any local store and then we'll continue. If there was an easier way I'd give it to you. The external hard drive "could" work, but it'd likely get formatted/wiped to have the correct file structure.

For when you do grab one, here's the next step:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Click Rufus 2.0 middle of the way down and it'll download the program to run. Just point it to the flash drive. Change the file system to Large Fat32, and at the bottom you'll see freedos is already set. Hit start.

When it's finished, when you're doing the choose boot device (f8), choose the usb drive. Then you can navigate to your external. Or make it even easier and just copy the bios utility and the bios file to the usb device AFTER doing rufus.

If you get back to me later or tomorrow, please give me timet o respond, I'm not always here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its too late to go to a store now and i am at work tomorrow, so it may be a couple of days. thank you for your help. i will get back to you when i have bought a flash drive in a couple of days

Expert:  jnayes replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all. No need to respond any further until you're ready, it will email me and I will 100% get back to you as soon as I get your reply (and I'm available).