Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My computer has been hacked into and an "advisor" is telling

Customer Question

My computer has been hacked into and an "advisor" is telling me I need to download
the following apps "Large Gateway" "Identity" and "Experience and pay a considerable sum of money. What do you advise.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Ignore this person it is a scam. They are companies mainly out of India that try to trick you into believing you have been hacked, or your computer has issues ect.
Do not install the Apps he is asking and actually do not converse with him at all. This is a complete scam and you do not have or need to do anything they say.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a 72 year old pensioner and have stupidly I now believe let

someone have access to my computer. He is supposed to be ringing

me in 3 days time when I will need to pay £139 and he will correct all

"errors on my computer" I was phoned by him and he said that he

was from Windows help and that they had detected hackers on my laptop. My computer was in fact running slowly and I keep getting messages like "Firefox not responding etc". Will he be able to access

any of my personal information i.e. bank accounts etc. Thank you for your help I am not too much into Technology and I am at a loss as to what to do. Jean

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you allow him access to your computer then yes he will
He is going to ask you for to download and run a program, DO NOT do this, do not even speak to him.
Just hang up the phone and tell him to go away.
As long as you do nothing he says, on your computer Jean, you will be ok.
Just break off all contact with him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I be sure my computer is safe because I did allow him access

and it was after that he told me what I would need to do.

I will not speak to him again and have blocked the number but

I am worried that he has already done something.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is an additional service Jean, but I can sign onto your computer and check for you?
The fact he is returning in 3 days means he did not get what he needed installed, else he would not need to tell you about returning, he would just connect to your computer, and I know how they work, they need you to do steps to allow them on.
But if you wish. I can connect to your computer and check for you.
Let me know if you wish to do this by responding to my offer please.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ID for Teamviewer 5 7 3 2 9 2 1 3 0 Password *****

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will not let me connect again Jean
Can you please tell m when you get this message
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Connected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard - My computer is still running very slow and I keep getting messages saying "Firefox is not responding" and Warning Unresponsive script" also when I try to go to another website etc by clicking on x in right hand corner nothing happens.I thought all my problems would be

sorted as you said everything was now OK but sorry to say they are not.

Can you help me? Jean

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jean
What I did yesterday was remove the software the fraudster installed.
I did not know there were issues with firefox
In Firefox,
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting information page.
Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported.
Click Finish and Firefox will open.
Tell me how it then functions please