Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have installed IE 11 and since then the application stops

I have installed IE 11 and since then the application stops an address being typed after about two or three letters and the same with the search bars. Run virus scans Norton eraser etc etc to no avail! What is the answer please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Please do the following in Internet Explorer
Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options
Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.
Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset
Then restart the computer and tell me if Internet Explorer now functions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard, Andrew here. Re instructions, OK to a point but just appears to stop on "resetting user customisations.

I had in fact used this method myself before but it didn't work hence approaching "just answer" am using Opera in order to see your advice. if i restart the pc again your web page will be lost! Maybe just have to forget IE and use Safari, Chrome or Opera. Have gone through the procedure you suggest about eight times earlier today.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, download this file Andrew and try to reset it with this
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9646978
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have done as instructed, Microsoft Fix it window progress bar is an eight th of the way along and the reset IE window is still on resetting, 1st Line still! Sorry to take your time, perhaps it's irreparable...?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its always repairable Andrew, just depends on how far you have to go
How long has it been running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Possibly 20mins plus.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, restart the computer, it would not take this long
Then do the following
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try IE
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks! Will do.Forgot about this one. Did this on my last pc!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Always good to have a second set of eyes!
Let me know how it goes please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Richard,
Sorry for the delay. All happened exactly as said and the pc is now doing a disk check. This note is from my iPad, was concerned how to retrieve your website if lost through restarting.
Will reply in due course if you aren't away for supper!
A
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Andrew!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Richard!I imagine you will have finished your shift by now, but this is to say that the disk check has only just finished enabling me to start and open IE again!I was delighted to find all was well initially but after a few searches exactly the same problem, IE will not allow typing more than two or three letters in any of the boxes!I then reset the browser again, this was very fast and three ticks appeared quickly and then restarted pc. Still the same! Must go to bed 11.45 pm. Guess its a no go.Many thanks,Andrew
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hey Andrew,
Sorry I was offline. Can you click start, type in
%temp%
Press enter
Delete all the files and folders listed there. Skip any that windows says are in use.
Then restart and tell me how IE functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning Richard!

Many thanks, ***** ***** just sorting daily tasks first, bear with me and I'll be back!

Andrew

p.s typing this is fine but the browser won't have still it. Home page changes but full scans show nothing, - am back in a bit.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No rush and thank you Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard,

Chores finished. Carried out your directions when your answer arrived, all was well typing straight after completion, have just come back now and exactly the same as before......... type two or three letters, cursor disappears from search box and address bar. if I click mouse after every letter it might do more however its only with the browser, typing these observations is absolutely fine, written on same pc (not ipad)

I can type emails as far as I can see. The computer is HP three and half years old used little, am very particular about protection. recently did a huge update after an away period 126updates and IE11.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, click start, control panel
Click user accounts
Make a new user account
Restart the computer and sign in with this new user account and in this tell me if you have the problem with IE please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will do! I forgot to mention if I start writing in one search box the word may finish in another place!

Will make a new account now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have done this and it appears to be working, I can type! However this was ok previously its after a while it has reverted to erratic typing or none. of course if I have a new account I cannot access stuff, will it mean using both acc.perhaps.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is pointing to your account being corrupted.
In this event Andrew, you either need to use this new account.
Or avoid using IE (which I do anyway) and use Google Chrome
But appears we now got to the cause of the issue, a corrupted user profile.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard, thank you. Does that mean virus corruption or just damaged?

Presumably I can put my stuff on a flash disk from the first account and transfer to the second then delete original account. However that's an other line of questioning!

I'll try typing again on the new one and see what happens.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Just damage, corruption that is non repairable.
Let me know how you go, but really I would avoid using IE, it is not safe, fast or reliable.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Richard

Foolishly put my thanks in the new question box so have been charged again as though a new question so have requested a refund of the second £28

The correct payment should be £28 + £5tip!!

best regards,

Andrew

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I saw, but I already marked it for a refund Andrew.
We don't let you pay for nothing here :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's so jolly nice of you!

Thank you, and for your help and advice!

Andrew