Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have Word 2010 and a collection of documents in ONE FOLDER

I have Word 2010 and a collection of documents in ONE FOLDER only are refusing to open properly. The document appears on the screen but when i try to do anything the screen hangs and the message appears at the top "WinWord. exe is not responding". It then tries to check for a solution but after a little while announces that the internet connection has been lost (it hasn't). Other documents in other folders are unaffected.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Alison
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you please download and run this file.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9763243
Once you have run the file, and completed the onscreen process, restart the computer and tell me if the documents now open in this folder please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fix wouldn't run - "This Microsoft Fix does not apply to your operating system or application version",

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of windows do you have Alison?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this file is for Word 2010 on windows 7
You are sure this is Office 2010 Alison?
Can you double check this please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, have checked. Definitely says Word 2010 when it starts up.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, very strange.
We will then manually do the process the file would have done.
Close all programs
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word
Right click on Data and select Delete
Then right click on Options and select Delete
Close the registry editor, restart the computer and check if you still have the problem in Word.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - here's the really dim bit - where do i find Start?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Thats the windows logo button in the bottom left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your patience.

I can get as far as HKEY.....\14.0\ but WORD is not an option then - only COMMON\GENERAL

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It appears your in the wrong place.
give me the full path where you are please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You went one too far
Do not go into Common
Right click on Data and select Delete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But WORD isn't mentioned. It goes straight from 14.0 to COMMON. I can't see WORD anywhere

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, also very strange but we will have to skip this step as well then.
Close all programs
Click start, control panel.
Click on Uninstall a program
Click on office, then click change then click repair.
Let this complete and when it has, restart the computer and tell me if you still have the problem with these documents please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard - I have followed the steps you outlined and - Success! I can now get into my documents and now know what to do if it happens again.

Many thanks for your help. (It didn't take me this long to re-start by the way - I've answered the phone and the door and filled an order.)

So it might be raining but I can class this a Good Day.

Alison

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And the sun will shine again Alison :)
Good we got this solved.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues