Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I am trying to recover my Microsoft account, but I have turned

Customer Question

I am trying to recover my Microsoft account, but I have turned on two-step verification and cannot use the normal procedure for recovery.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

I am going to give you steps to a private forum that is checked by Outlook/Hotmail moderators that can assist you in real time.

First you are going to need to create another email address with Hotmail. Please go to the following link to create that.
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx

Once you create the new address do the following.

Go to the following link and click Participate and then click Ask a question on the menu at the top. A box will appear. In that box type what has happened. Remember to be very polite and give as much information as you can.

Here is the link to the forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a problem with signup.live.com - failed to create new address

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

Did you try to create a brand new (separate) email address? When did you get that message? What was the exact message?

Please try again and let me know if you get the error and the exact error
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Too late, Joshie boy - I've changed the e-mail address on my own. It is now *****@******.***. I've even had a Getting Started e-mail, but the only way I can open it is by right-clicking and clicking Properties. The message is there along with some computer geek-speak. I'm in exactly the same position as I was before - I can see the e-mails displayed, but cannot open them. Answers on a postcard please. . .

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

You mentioned not being able to opening emails as being in the same position as before but your initial email was not being able to access your email account and needing help with recovery. Please let me know which one you need help with
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_a1bdcb1d-64fc-43e0-9204-4d9ee00da7d0_"
From: Outlook.com Team <*****@******.***>
To: <*****@******.***>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 04:32:33 -0700
Subject: Getting started with your mail account
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0wO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

Not bad for a novice, eh?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

Thank you for the header but that does not help at the moment. You have mentioned two separate issues -- Not being able to access your old email account and not being able to open emails. Have you posted on the private forum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I may be a little fuzzy with the amount of time I've spent on this issue, but the ONE issue here is that I cannot open my e-mails either in my old account (*****@******.***) or my new account (*****@******.***). At your direction I visited the outlook.com link, and found one piece of advice concerning the removal of cookies. Accordingly, I removed said cookies, and, lo and behold, back came the "Getting Started" e-mail from Outlook.com. Not only that, having spent 45 minutes with the technical services of my ISP, at the end of which no test messages could be sent or received, lo and behold there appeared a test message in the inbox of my old account. At the risk of repeating myself, I could NOT open either of the new messages sent to my old and my new e-mail accounts. Logically that should surely count as ONE fault, even though it is shared by BOTH accounts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. You have been sending me a series of e-mails in spite of the fact that I have told you more than once that I can't open/read them, or whatever the geeky word is. I am using a second PC on which I have set up a new e-mail account, as suggested in one of your earlier replies. The second PC operating my new account *****@******.***, allows me to open/read the e-mails. Yes, it's true that my opening gambit related to recovery, but, following the advice to set up a new e-mail account sidestepped the need for recovery, leaving two accounts with the same problem. When the Outlook account opened up in the desktop, all e-mails from the original account were "synchronised" or some such term, so that all e-mails were deleted(?) and the next message was "Getting Started with Outlook.com", which appeared on the screen on its own, but could NOT be opened/read or whatever. So. . .neither of the two accounts, both of which were accepting e-mails, would allow those e-mails to read/opened, or whatever. At this rate I shall soon become a geek myself.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

I am not sure what you mean by an article about removing cookies -- That was not part of my steps that I provided to you.

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have found ONE of your e-mail messages on a different computer!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

Did you follow my steps and post to the private forum? I cannot help you recover your account if you are not following the steps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been through all that rigmarole already. Your e-mail arrived this morning at 10:07, and when I clicked on it to open it, a dialogue box came up which read "Your account was locked because you or somebody else tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect e-mail address or password. Please wait for some time, and then try again". I have already completed two or three times the form that you've just sent me to - without success. What guarantee do I have that this will different? I'm certainly working hard for your £38!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

You have posted on the private forum? You are mentioning emails coming in but nothing about the private forum. If you posted on the forum, your account would probably be unlocked by now.

Please confirm that you are posting to the forum using the exact steps that I gave you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As a courtesy I have attempted to use your link and complete the form. On both e-mail entries I have been given the reponse "already in use", so what now? I think we had better call it a day, and I'll find my own way home. The reponse from Microsoft to my other computer came through las Wednesday, the day before I contacted Just Answer, so in fact I didn't need to go elsewhere - I had all the info I needed. I think it's time you and I said goodbye. Thanks for trying to help me, and I'm sorry that we did'nt get on better.Wink

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

If you received an "already in use" message then you did not fill out the boxes properly. I have helped thousands of customers retrieve their accounts using this method and it always works unless the account was not in their name. Please go back and read each box carefully.

Please be sure to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the e-mail, but I can't open it. The problem is that I chose a two stage verification for my Microsoft Account, which means that I can't use the normal procedure. I repeat, I cannot open the e-mail you sent at 16:29 today.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

You don't need to open the email from Justanswer. Scroll up on this page and you can read my response
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert for over 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the e-mail, but I can't open it. The problem is that I chose a two stage verification for my Microsoft Account, which means that I can't use the normal procedure. I repeat, I cannot open the e-mail you sent at 16:29 today. I've followed your link, and I cannot get past the username box. No matter what I type in there it will not accept the entry.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Frank,

Here are the steps again..

Sign out of any Hotmail account

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the "following link"?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.