Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My computer which is operating on Windows 7 can't open previously

Customer Question

My computer which is operating on Windows 7 can't open previously opened USB Flash Drives or two new Flash Drives that I have recently purchased.
They appear in Device Manager, but tell me against each one, there are no drivers installed.
I have all the updates from Microsoft's website, and have done several Web searches to see if it is possible to re-install all the USB drivers again. But haven't found a solution!
I have a program called Driver Tuner, which informs me that all my drivers are up to date.
Out of the 5 Flash Drives I have, only one of them is found and which I can use!
I have tried all the 5 Flash Drives in my wife's Lap Top Computer, which is also operating in Windows 7 and they are all found and open correctly.
However, on my Desk Top Computer they show up under USB in my Device Manager, and under Portable Devices on the Lap Top!
I have already tried restoring back as far as I can go etc.
Any assistance or recommendations that you could provide without having to re-install the whole windows program and the additional programs again, would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards.
Stuart Wilkinson
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, please do the following.
Disconnect all drivers
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to connect to the drivers
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I've duplicated the contents of the email I've just sent you, viz:

Whilst running Check Disk, it repaired the damaged sectors and the computer then rebooted.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed, so it still won’t load any of the Flash Drives that still show up in Device Manager, and says that drivers are not installed.

These will also will also not update when I try updating the drivers, and says try contacting the Flash Drive manufacturer.

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What is the make and model of the flash Drive Stuart?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

The USB Flash Drives that aren't recognised are:-

3 x SanDisk Micro Cruzer's, which I have used before on this computer, which I bought in December 2013.

and

The 2 new ones I have recently bought which are iBoutique Elite Hi-Speed USB Flash Drive USB 2.0.

The only one which does open and work on my computer is a Peak USB 2.0!

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, its not a driver issue as they use built in drivers.
If you sign in onto another user account on the computer, does that user account also have the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am the only user of this computer and the Administrator.

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but please create a second user account Stuart and try to access the drives.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have created a second user account.

But not having had to do it before, how do I change to this second user so that I can try accessing the drives?

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now restart the computer and you can sign in as this second user.
Then see if the drives are now accessible please Stuart.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When used as 2nd user, the Flash Drive didn't load, but it was shown as a USB (with a fault) in Device Manger.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, try using a different cable, does this make a difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried inserting the Flash Drives in both the Computers rear and front USB ports and the same still happens.

Both the SanDisk USB's are identified as Cruzer Micro in Device Manager, and the Elite ones are just indicated USB.

In both cases on clicking on the name it says drivers are not installed!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you insert them into another computer, are they correctly detected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Peak 2.0 Flash Drive still works perfectly on this computer, and all of them work and open ok on my wife's Lap Top, which also operates on Windows 7.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Whats the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CSL Computer.

The SanDisk Flash Drives have previously opened and operated correctly since I bought the computer in December 2013.

Several days ago I did contact CSL to see if they had any ideas about rectifying the fault.

All they suggested was doing a full install again, which I am loathed to do and have to re-install all my additional programs, when the computer works very well, apart from this Flash Drive reading problem!

The USB's also work fine for any other operation like updating my Sat Nav, exercise wrist watch and transferring pictures from my camera.

I don't know if the following will help:-

But when I checked the USB drivers drive path for my Flash Drives on my wife Lap Top it gave the following:-

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\UMDF\WpdFs.dll

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\WUDFRD.sys

Digital Signed Microsoft Windows

On checking my Drivers folder, I couldn't find UMDF\WpdFs.dll

but found a WpdFs.dll folder.

Also, I couldn't find anything on WUDFRD.sys.

It also said on mine when checking the driver that it wasn't digitally signed!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I want to reinstall the chipset drivers again Stuart.
I am not too familar with this computer model, but are these the drivers here?
https://ftp.csl-computer.com/pub/drivers/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CSL can be found at csl-computers.com.

However, the disc that came with my computer is from www.BIOSTAR.COM.TW INTEL SERIES.

This contains the Manual and Drivers.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, put the disk in and install the chip set drivers.
Once done, restart the computer and check if the drives now work.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I opened the chipset folder in drivers and it gave me the following sub-folders:- Audio, Chip Set, CIR, LAN, USB30.

When in Chip Set, the Sub Folders:- Graphics, HECI, Infinst, SATA.

The Infinist folder seemed the most appropriate one, which had the most files in it, so I installed this and re-booted.

The Flash Drives are still not opening!

I have checked the contents of the USB30 Sub-folder and there are 2 further folder:- ASMEDIA which contains a setup.exe and one called:-

NEC which also has a setup.exe folder.

Should I try re-installing both these folders from the USB30 folder?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please Stuart
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've re-installed these 2 setup.exe files and re-booted.

Device manager still says USB driver not installed - code 28!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
are there any storage drivers on the disk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't see any.

On clicking on the disc it gives a list of folders and files, one of which is setup.exe.

I assume that clicking on that, it should to a general install of everything on the disc.

Shall I try doing that, to see if it recovers something hidden somewhere else on the disc?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, it wont hurt so run the installation and let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely no change whatsoever!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then your left with doing a complete reinstall of windows Stuart, we have eliminated all other options sorry, and every repair has failed.
You will need to do the reinstall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry that I have taken up half a day of your time, trying all you can with your help and suggestions, to hopefully resolve my problem, which in the end wasn't achievable!

But thank you anyway.

Kind regards.

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its ok, we had to eliminate all causes for this, and attempt all repairs. A lot of times we would have got it working, in this case it was not possible and requires a complete reinstall sorry Stuart.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Just one further question.

When installing the Windows 7 installation disc, does it give you the option to Repair an existing installation, just like it did in Windows XP?

Stuart

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but we did that initially via the SFC /scannow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that.

I did't know what SFC /Scannow was actually doing.

I suppose in doing that, it didn't actually repair/replace what is obviously missing in my `C` drive, which I imagine a full install would put back.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Correct, this is why I said we had to move to do a reinistall as the repairs we did (we did more then just that) did not correct it.