michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

Not sure if I'm in the right place but will ask anyway! My

Customer Question

Not sure if I'm in the right place but will ask anyway! My computer recently had to be restored to factory settings because of a virus. I have most windows 8 programmes back apart from word which is really important to me for my work, can I retrieve it?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Customer:

please confirm that is the operating system windows 8 on the computer

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

Yes it is.

Customer:

ok..please let me know that did microsoft word come preloaded on the computer or you installed it later from a disc or a download

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

It came preloaded.

Customer:

and did you restore it to factory settings using the recovery software or installed it from a adisc

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

I had the work done by somebody else so I'm afraid I don't know.

Customer:

ok..do you have any email about word activation or product key

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

No.

Customer:

ok...well the factory reset usually restores everything that came preloaded

Customer:

however it totally depends on the type of recovery that was done

Customer:

did you backup your data files

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

Well obviously it didn't or I think I would have found it by now, that is why I need help.

Customer:

its just the word software that you need

Customer:

is that correct

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

Most of the other software has been restored, I may have lost a few other things but word is the one I need.

Customer:

ok..would it be fine if i remote access and check

Customer:

if the preloaded software is there is will restore it, but if its not there i can install a trial to get you started

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

Can I just Check that you are a genuine Microsoft worker? I don't want my computer corrupted again, no offense.

Customer:

i totally understand

Customer:

i am a verified expert at just answer..anytime you feel you wish to quit remote access you can close it

Customer:

if you are not comfortable with remote, i can give you the steps

Customer:

please follow the below steps

Customer:

click start..computer

Customer:

in the top right you will see a search box

Customer:

type word and click search or press enter

Customer:

let me know if anything comes up in search results

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

Okay and if you can only set me up with a trial once that has ended do I have to pay for word yet again?

Customer:

yes...you will have to buy a full license...but in case the recovery done on your pc has not restored word then anyhow you will have to buy microsoft word

Customer:

through remote access i could just do a thorough check to see if the installation file could be found somewhere

JACUSTOMER-yhdna9tr- :

ok can you do it remotely for me please.

Customer:

sure

Customer:

please click on below link

Customer:

1. Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.

2. The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.

3. Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.

4. After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.

Customer:

let me know once you have installed

Customer:

issue resolved via remote access..word installed

Customer:

please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered

Thanks for choosing Just answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You previously said that my Microsoft word would be working, I have since tried to activate it and the web page informed me that my product key was invalid. Please could you remedy this for me.

i had installed word with a generic key
but the permanent solution to this as i informed you yesterday as well would be to find the original product key
please check the invoice or packing material of the computer for the product key
you can also check your email if you have got it on mail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know you installed it with a generic key but you did not mention that as soon as I tried to use it myself it would no longer work. I have searched and am still searching for the original product key however you led me to believe that I would be able to use it with what you had done.

it can work...its just that we can delay the activation
but that will make word usable only for reading files but not editing
give me few minutes here..let me check what best can done as product is not available
thanks for your patience
there is a 3rd party software available that can retrieve stored product keys from the computer itself
in case with the restore that was done, the product key too was restored...this software will be able to find it
i will give you the link below that has the download page for jelly bean software
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
open the link above and in page that opens click on blue download button to download the software
follow the below steps to extract the key
Download Magical Jelly Bean and follow the installation process to install it on your computer.
Launch the program. You can find it by opening the Start menu, typing keyfinder, and pressing Enter.
The program will scan your installations and find the product keys of supported programs, including various versions of Windows and Microsoft Office.
When the scan is complete, the tool will display a window with entries in the left pane for whatever installed versions of Windows and Office it detected.
Click the entry for your version of Microsoft Office to reveal the key and other information about that installation. The same advice goes for Office: Your key will be listed under 'CD Key' on the right side of the window. Record this information exactly, as the key will not work otherwise.
let me know if you face any difficulty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok this is bizarre, I went in to Magic Jelly Bean and it came up with a code for me, I then went onto Word but it had started working again without the code. I have no idea what is going on!

as i said word will work but will prompt you for the activation at times..you simply need to select an option to activate later or open word again and it should work
however i would still suggest to run the jelly bean software to check if you are able to find product key saved on computer itself
else for getting a new product key you would need to contact microsoft
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well the product key that it came up with had me as the registered owner so I guess that is the right one,

yes...copy it on paper and keep safely
next time whenever you get a prompt to enter product key..use that key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've written it down for future use, Thank you again for your help.

you are welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, on looking back at Microsoft office I have discovered that it is still in a trial version and still needs to be activated, I have attempted to activate it over the internet and by phone and have been told that my product key is invalid, I presume that the key that came up on Magic Jelly Bean is the key you used and it is still invalid, I require a new key as the only one coming up is the key that you used, thank you.

in that case,you would have to retrieve the original product key
since the recovery software did not find it, it seems that the key did not get restored a factory reset was done
in such a case the only way to get a new key would be to contact Microsoft as they would verify that you purchased this license and depending upon the type of license will accordingly share a new key with you
i hope you understand that product keys are generated by Microsoft itself as they are the manufacturer of Office package and i can only assist in installing the software but cannot generate new product key in case the original is misplaced or not available
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your attempts at helping, my daughter has righted the issue herself within 30 minutes. I shall be requesting a refund as your methods clearly did not work and you did not originally tell me that you could only assist in installing and not activating the product, if you had stated this I would not have used your service.

i just want to let you know that all word files were hidden on your system
only through remote access have i been able to hide it to enable installation to begin with
activation of a product totally depends on customer providing the correct details which you were unable to share with me related to product key
in that case my scope of support becomes limited
hope you understand as i have given you an extra value add service of remote access which is chargeable but i have not charged you for the same
i would appreciate your understanding on the same so that i may get compensated for my time and effort