Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have Surface RT 64G PC Serial number 185036524352 with microsoft

Customer Question

I have Surface RT 64G PC Serial number 185036524352 with microsoft windows version 2.2.9200 . The surface crassed halfway through upgrading to windows 8.1. I have been on the microsoft account site and downloaded the recovery file. The surface will not look at the files
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If its saying the files are write protected, this usually points to the actual hard driver crashing.
First though, type in command prompt
sfc /scannow
That then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pc message: Windows Resouces Protection could not start the repair service

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Robert, no matter the software issue, this would have run. The hard drive suffered a physical crash in the surface, meaning there are parts on the hard drive plates that are unusable. Your data will also be lost on the hard drive.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the surface to have the hard drive replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.Then you can perform the update to 8.1.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I purchased the surface in 2012, is it still covered by the warranty? If not what is the best option? What would it cost to replace if the hard drive if not covered. I live in Kings Lynn Norfolk Uk, where is the best place to send the surface

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It may be, it will depend on the warranty offered by the store that sold it to you as this varies from store to store.
If it is out of warranty, the cost of replacing the hard drive will usually exceed the value of the surface Robert. For these devices, they are not really made to be repaired out of warranty unlike actual computers.
My advise would be to take it back to the place of purchase and check if the warranty is still valid and if not, have them provide an offer on the cost or replacing the hard drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the help, Regards Bob

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Bob
If you need anything else, please let me know.
And please remember the service rating by clicking one of the smiley faces or stars.