Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Transferred Microsoft Office 2008 from MacMini to new Macbook

Transferred Microsoft Office 2008 from MacMini to new Macbook Pro, but I am not allowed to open Word, Excel, etc, or any transferred files (mainly work) originally created in Office 2008. Instead, I am launched into a 'buy Microsoft 2011' window. Office 2008 is fine - I do not want, or intend to spend £200+ buying a slightly newer version of a functional program I already own.
An Apple 'Genius' checked my laptop remotely; he says that the above should NOT happen - I should have full use of Office 2008 on the new machine. He checked - it's legal and registered.
He also said. "Contact Microsoft...". So here I am!
Any help appreciated
John Fullard
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Exactly how did you transfer Office 2008 to the other computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi/.

Transferred by 'Migration Assistant'

JF

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is a very buggy method and nearly always fails. The Migration assistant is mainly for files, not programs.
You are best to actually install office on the Mac with the Disk, this is going to work for you. Are you able to do this?