The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I am trying to find a way to use countif in excel where

Hi. I am trying to find a way to use countif in excel where I need the range to be one cell but across multiple sheets. i.e. so 20 individual cells are looked at to find the number of criteria in those 20 cells.
Can you help?
Mark
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
My Name is***** will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

can you please send an example sheet of what you are trying to do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am trying to use the countif function across multiple sheets.

So the range will included specific cells on each sheet, approximately 30 sheets. So each cell on each sheet will have a yes or no in it, and I want the function to count how many yes's and how many no's, for example.

Mark

well you could do something like this

=SUM(Sheet1!COUNTIF(A1:A12,"yes"),COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A12,"yes"))

and so on, just add each sheet needed. Adjust the range for whatever range you want to use.

its a bit cumbersome, but that is the only way to do it with a single formula.

The only other way to do it would be to use a VBA macro, which I could create for you if you would like

let me know which option works best for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE SMILEY FACES BENEATH THIS ANSWER

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried this equation however it comes back with an error. I am not looking at a range on each sheet just specific cells, so the range would not be A1:A12, it would just be A1 on every sheet. Is that why the equation is not working. The range is the same cell across 30 sheets?

Mark

can you send me your sheet?

It is hard to fix your error if I cannot see the specific error being generated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Example spread sheet attached. All I want to do is count how many yes's and how many no's across a number of sheets. So the summary sheet shows the number of yes's and number of no's.

Attachment: 2015-05-11_122340_example.xlsx

i have added the appropriate formulas to your sheet so you can see how they are constructed, I know it looks tedious, but this is the only way to do it without using VBA or macros.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1ako5x

if you have any questions let me know