WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Microsoft Office Specialist
21171802

I am trying to log into my work account via secure ID with

Customer Question

I am trying to log into my work account via secure ID with my new laptop. Windows 8.1 and explorer 11, I have downloaded citrix receiver and java and it goes through the screens until the very last one where I am have the following window pop up - "view downloads - internet explorer" and then gives me the option to open or save, but will not let me open the files.
is this something to do with one of my settings?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m Wes. I’ll be glad to help with the issue and answer any questions.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
The problem is most likely the program to open the downloaded files is no longer associated.This can be fixed by re-associating the Remote Desktop application to the files.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
The next time you download the file, save it somewhere, go to that folder location.Right-click on the open and choose Open WithIf the Remote Desktop application is not in the default flyout, click Choose Default ProgramScroll through the list until you see Remote Desktop or click on More OptionsYou can also choose an application on your computer by clicking on the last option "Look for another app on this PC"The path for Remote Desktop is : %windir%\system32\mstsc.exe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have got as far as adding the remote desktop, but then error occurring by remote desktop connection. "an error occurred while loading from file"

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the file extension that is downloaded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

C:\users\elizabeth\downloads\barclays\5689dd19-773f-4deb-95b4-210f4e3ee9889.ica

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Let me verify that file extension.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
The .ICA file is for the Citrix client and not the Remote Desktop client.To get that working you will need to install the Citrix client first.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if you have that installed already? Probably not since it did not open.When you connect to your network, and start to login, look for any links that show "Client" or "Citrix Client" to download and install.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Once installed, the next time you open / download the .ICA file it will open with Citrix.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
If you cannot find it on your network, you can download the file from Citrix here: http://www.citrix.com/go/receiver.html
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Then you will be all set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Java and Citrix has already been loaded and accepted

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
You will want to associate the Citrix client with the file you downloaded.Same procedure we tried for the Remote Desktop, except you want to associate the file with the Citrix client.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
For some reason it did not assocate the Citrix client to the extension.
Re-install the Citrix client and try again:
http://www.citrix.com/go/receiver.html
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if that solution worked for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have reinstalled and it makes no difference.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to re-associate the file using the Right-click, Open With menu?