Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Windows 7 login returns with "The user profile service failed

Windows 7 login returns with "The user profile service failed the login user profile cannot be loaded". I have followed the instructions on your relevant document but this does not solve the problem. I have noticed that when I create other accounts both administrator/Normal when viewing the user folder in explorer neither new user account appears only the administrator account I am using to fault find. Deleting the new user accounts and reinstalling them still produces the same result. Checking the registry, only one account appears in the HKEY......../Current Version/Profile List/S-1-5-21, the other two users do not appear. Any help would be useful.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
Have you tried restoring the system in safe mode to an earlier time when it worked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been a complete re-installation via the HDD installed copy of windows as supplied by DELL computers.

Do you mean to say, that it still results in "user profile service error" even after a complete/clean reinstallation via the HDD installed copy (restored to factory defaults) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.

By the way you keep requesting my email address which appears to be also used by somebody else.

Barry
I am a tech only, you may be getting requests from somewhere on the site, but since my interface is different then yours, i cannot see it. To discuss the customer service issue, it would be best to email***@******.***.
Are you able to login to your account in safe mode? If yes, can you login to it using safe mode with networking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot this directly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, bear with me while I re-boot the laptop into safe mode with networking

Okay. After it is done, please follow the steps below:
go to www.logmein123.com
Type the code: 831953
Click Start Download
Click on the downloaded file, and Click Run.
If asked by system to allow the file to run, select "Yes/Allow/OK"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok all seems to be ok but snails pace - suggest you get large cup of coffee ready for a long night!!!

Click OK please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Ross is the only way I can access the computer and does not have a password ***** this seems to exacerbate the problem. It behaves normally when in user Ross mode

Please reply directly in the notepad open on your screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have tried to log into the other created users, but even when I have deleted them and installed new users the same problem occurs

Please move the laptop close to the router, the internet seems to have gone too slow due to low signal strength.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have 4 wireless access points two of which are in the office, but for some reason the wireless dongle prefers the furthest distance which is in the extension. I would have to interrupt your link to rectify it. Can I just use my mouse or will it cause a problem?

You can use it no worries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Use TALKTALK-CCOBBC-2 it should connect automatically if you just click connect

Can you hard wire it to Ethernet / Router directly ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delat Ka but anb advert keeps coming up obstructing your reply request - Yes I can connect - tell me when ok

Please connect now and then disconnect wifi.
Barry, i rebooted the computer. Is it now on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Ka I lost the connection when I transferred to the ;laptop to cable and my desktop to wireless - yes it is now on and hsas shown a failure of service pack which is what i have been getting. Ka I have been getting a failure of SP1 on 3 laptops all wkg ok until thjis latest download

Please click the link below and open the downloaded program:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=799997
^^
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ka should this file be opened on the laptop?

Yes, the one i was connected to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok bear with me will tranfer to memstik

Ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KA I am still waiting for lap top to revert sp 1 changes. Sorry for delay but advert keeps obstructing notification of your reply

No worries, let me once it is done i will send a new code/link because the previous one expired. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Just wait it is now re-booting

After it logs back in, please do the following:
Please go to www.logmein123.com
Type the code: 153429
Click Start Download
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only showing login screen at moment

Login to the ross account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok logged in

go to www.logmein123.com
Type the code: 153429
Click Start Download
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ka you are now on cable so should be no speed issue

connected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep I was Watching

Hi Barry
I've run out of ideas on this issue. So i will opt out and open it to other experts. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.
First, can you turn off the computer
turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Safe Mode.
This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).
Once in, click Start, and type in
System Restore
Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.
Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows in the account normally please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am attempting to boot into.safe mode but for the umpteenth time is doing update 1 of 1

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yeah, windows is great with this...
Let me know when its finished please and you can do the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Richard it has finished and shutdown daft question but do I re-start?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No questions are daft here
You just start it up
then immediately keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Safe Mode.
Once in, click Start, and type in
System Restore
Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The most recent update is windows update - critical update do I go with this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
How long ago was the restore image made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

27/5/2015 7:41:55PM

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, what we want is a restore point from before this user profile problem started.
So choose one with a date and time before this problem started please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is difficult as the login problem started in september of 2014 on the present laptop BUT when the latest download from MS was downloaded this and another laptop failed to black screens this was discovered on one little used laptop which was working before we went on holiday on 13 th may 2015 and began to exhibit problems after the latest download which I believe containe W7 SP1. The earliest download showing is 27/05/2015 1:40:50 AM

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, sorry I was not sure but did you see a restore point from before the problem started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Richard how do I view ALL th restore points?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
On the system restore screen you see the dates listed there.
You will have a check box at the bottom that indicates to show earlier points.
Select this and scroll through the list to the olderst points listed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - I'm afraid that any restore points that existed before 27/5/2015 seem to have been lost. I do remember ther ebeing more but obviously with all the tinkering about they must have been lost at some stage. Do you want me to retore to the early 27/5/2015?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, thats not going to help so dont want to waste your time with it.
We need to do a complete reinstall. Before we do, do you have data you need to save off the computer? If so, please do this (programs you would need to install again) and then tell me the make and model of the computer please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In view of my suspicions that the MS download was the cause, I deliberately did not re-install any saved programs/files so I just had a very basic MS op system with no complications. I think my suspicions are coming to fruition.

The make is a DELL INSPIRON model N5110.

I have a similar one with WXP which has given sterling service and I have a 1999 Sharp with WXP which is also still running faultlessly.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and its smart to keep the computer as lean as possible.
If you have backed up all your data then do the following to do the reinstall please
Turn off your computer.
Turn on the computer
When the Dell logo appears on the screen, press F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu
.
Note: If the Advanced Boot Options menu doesn't open, wait for the Windows login prompt. Then restart the computer and try again.
Use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter.
On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.
Depending on your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools and then Dell Factory Image Restore.
Click Next to open the Confirm Data Deletion menu.
Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box and click Next.
Note: The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
After the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.
It will then be operational again and you can setup the computer and use it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - the only options are :-

Startup repair

System Restore

System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

Which do I go for?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Choose System Image Recovery please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear it cannot find a system image recovery so I assume that somehow it has been lost. I have a backup, but it is laible to contain the very corruption (or whatever) that is causing our problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then we will have to use a windows disk, its the only way forward.
Do you have one there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - I have a re - installation disk supplied by the DELL engineer who repaired the Laptop after some idiot at my sons Uni lifted the laptop by it's screen as per apple.. He evidently used the installation on a partition on th HDD but left the CD as the laptop was out of DELL's warranty just in case of situations such as this. Do you want to use this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You, use this please.
Put it in the computer, restart the computer and keep tapping any key until the disk loads.
Then run through the installation on the disk.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok booting from CD/DVD - Coffee time!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and enjoy!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - W7 has finished installing I have set a user name and Password ***** am looking at screen "Use recommended settings"

Where Now?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Now you can start using the computer.
It is ready to be used.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard I will just try creating another account to see if the problem is solved

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
though you have an account now that your in on the computer
But let me know how you go please.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues