Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have office 365 home premium plus skype and

Customer Question

I have office 365 home premium plus skype for business and cannot log into either account. it says account not recognized?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Are you using an email address to sign in? And is it a personal one or one you received from Microsoft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe we entered our original personal e-mail address, it has since put one in with a onmicrosoft.com extension however it says account not recognized when i try to reset password

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats not a email address Ian, remove it and put in your personal email address and then sign in.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have put in original e-mail address and password ***** the message comes back "ID or password ***** recognized

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now try to reset your password ***** the original email address, on my link below
Click me to open
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It wants to sent a reset code to either an alternative e-mail with missing characters or a tel no.

I cannot use the mobile as it is my wife's and she is in Texas at the moment.

The e-mail has 5 asterixs and i assume it means that it has 5 missing characters. that does not make sense with any of our e-mail addresses.

EG original***@******.***

requested [email protected]?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The missing letters is for security so they hide it.
It just blocks it with * to stop people seeing it.
Can you have it sent to that email please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i have tried sending the missing character as "m" it says does not match alternative address.

this is all the stuff i have tried over the last few days with no success - i just seem to go around in circles

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
before you were getting account not recognized as you were using the wrong account
The one we are now using is correct we just need to get the password ***** as you have forgotten it.
As it is 5 *'s then it is 5 characters, not just one.
Can you try to recall what you set it as please, as it needs to be a p with 5 characters after it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume it has to be a legitimate e-mail address, in which case there is not one with [email protected] as we have not created one anything like that.

Associated e-mils would be***@******.*** or***@******.*** no other e-mails exist.

Ian

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily, its the address you entered when you created the account. Maybe you made a typo then Ian.
Your going to then have to call on 0344(###) ###-####
Call on this number, have yourself verified over the phone and have them reset it this way.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I typed in pam and then it accepted it - doh, they dont make it very clear.

Then got a reset code but by the time i typed it in the password ***** had expired, how frustrating.

Will try again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, at least we make progress
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am into the microsoft account now, great step 1.

now I some how need to access how to sign into Lync or change the passwords etc as i cant get into them.

I thought to access this i had to have a skype for business account as Lync is now know as skype for business.

Again when i try the various permutations of login I am getting nowhere

It asks for e-mail,user id and password.

So again i am assuming e-mail is as before, possible the user id the same, but have no idea of password

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is Skype that is used, and it uses a seperate account for this, even if its the same email address.
Try to reset the password *****
https://login.skype.com/recovery
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok - so I have used the link to try to reset the password, but it comes back with "could not find account for this user i.e***@******.***,

however i have checked past e-mails and found the original details.

Organization: Cognisant Training Ltd

Name: Pam Thomas

User ID: *****@******.***

when i use the sign in portal it takes me back to the sign into microsoft 365 login and has the above account details in the login box.

So I am now confused?

What do i do next ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you sign into skype with that account Ian, thats the Skype account, you sign in in the Skype program itself.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help.

I have now got back access to both Microsoft 365 and the skype account.

I have also been able to join a Lync webinar which was my main cause for concern.

I still have to link the normal skype account with the Skype for business/microsoft 365 account but i think i'll leave that for another day.

thanks again for your help

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome Ian and if you need anything else, please let me know