Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have Windows 7, Office 2007 and just installed Publisher

Customer Question

I have Windows 7, Office 2007 and just installed Publisher 2013.
Publisher 2013 will only start in Safe Mode, taking two attempts to open it every time, and every time I try to open a folder it again fails to start on first attempt , then offers safe mode on second attempt.
Made sure I have all the Windows 7 updates loaded, I have followed other suggestions on the website as far as I can. I can see no "add ins" to disable when I look in Options/Add ins, but that maybe because I can only look when it is in Safe mode. When I downloaded Publisher I went for the suggested download not any fancy customised version.
Any solutions please?
Barbara
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if publisher now opens correctly
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Followed the steps you outlline above until the instruction

"Click ok, restart and let me know if publisher now opens correctly".

Clicking on ok - then got the blue whirling circle for 20 minutes without anything happening, so I used task manager to stop running the system config box ( mmarked as not responding).

Task manager closed it . I then tried to shut down the computer as I couldn't get word or anything to respond, and it wouldn't shut down - again the whirling blue circle for 20 minutes, so I forced shut down by turning off the PC at ON/OFF switch.

This meant start up said "not properly shut down - start normally" -and I repeated the whole process with the same result.

So no luck so far - the system is back as it was.

Should the "apply " tab have been ticked rather than OK tab? at the final stage or would that make no difference?

Problem is I have to get on and finish a Newsletter - all voluntary charity work as well as other family commitments. so I will not always be quick to respond, but do want to solve the problem which is wasting so much of my time having to open every file twicew in Publisher before even getting safe mode.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It would make no difference, OK is also used.
When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been like this since I installed Publisher just over a month ago.

It was a Multi licence product bought for our charity "University of the Third Age " so all involved in the Newsletter production could work in Publisher instead of Word. So far two other users having loaded it do not have this problem, Both others are on laptops, both Windows 7, but one with Office 2007 like me and one with Office 2010. No problems - it works fine on those two laptops.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you click start, control panel.
Click on Publisher, click on Change, then click on Repair.
Let this complete and when it has, restart the computer and tell me if it now operates correctly please.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try your suggestion later this evening - have to go and sort out other items at present.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK , I have now followed through the above procedure -"click start, control panel.
Click on Publisher, click on Change, then click on Repair..". etc. It took about 15 minutes I think to complete the repair process, then button to reboot.

Unfortunately on restarting and selecting Publisher- Publisher still gives "stopped Working" notice when trying to open it, and on second attempt it still just offers me "safe mode".

Well past bedtime so I'll leave it with you for any further ideas. thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, do the following please
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then test publisher and tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for all the instructions which we worked through step by step.

In the scan and repair registry phase, the message was "no issues found".

In the sfc/scannow phase, a message showed

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log....."

We continued with your instructions,,

chkdsk ran on restart and computer booted up looking normal.

However - unfortunately I still have the same Publisher problem when trying to open Publisher. First attempt fails, second attempt offers Safe mode.

In the Log at C:\windows \Logs\CBS I can see five text documents all starting with "CbsPersist ... and a number

I opened one of them and the following is the start of the message - there appears to be 300 pages of this and it is just the first one of the above five I've opened.

2015-05-13 11:42:37, Info CBS Starting TrustedInstaller initialization.

2015-05-13 11:42:37, Info CBS Loaded Servicing Stack v6.1.7601.17592 with Core: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17592_none_672ce6c3de2cb17f\cbscore.dll

2015-05-13 11:42:48, Info CBS Archived backup log: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CbsPersist_20150513104237.cab.

2015-05-13 11:42:48, Info CSI [email protected]/5/13:10:42:48.227 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7feee40f0ad @0x7fef21d9849 @0x7fef21a34e3 @0xff71e97c @0xff71d799 @0xff71db2f)

2015-05-13 11:42:49, Info CSI [email protected]/5/13:10:42:49.194 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7feee40f0ad @0x7fef2226816 @0x7fef21f2aac @0x7fef21a35b9 @0xff71e97c @0xff71d799)

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CSI [email protected]/5/13:10:42:50.025 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7feee40f0ad @0x7fef6478738 @0x7fef6478866 @0xff71e474 @0xff71d7de @0xff71db2f)

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS Ending TrustedInstaller initialization.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS Starting the TrustedInstaller main loop.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS TrustedInstaller service starts successfully.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Initializing online with Windows opt-in: False

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Cleaning up report files older than 10 days.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Requesting upload of all unsent reports.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Queued 0 file(s) for upload with pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_all.sqm, flags: 0x6

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS SQM: Warning: Failed to upload all unsent reports. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS No startup processing required, TrustedInstaller service was not set as autostart, or else a reboot is still pending.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS NonStart: Checking to ensure startup processing was not required.

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CSI 00000004 IAdvancedInstallerAwareStore_ResolvePendingTransactions (call 1) (flags = 00000004, progress = NULL, phase = 0, pdwDisposition = @0xbff7d0

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CSI 00000005 Creating NT transaction (seq 1), objectname [6]"(null)"

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CSI 00000006 Created NT transaction (seq 1) result 0x00000000, handle @0x1e8

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CSI [email protected]/5/13:10:42:50.865 CSI perf trace:

CSIPERF:TXCOMMIT;26692

2015-05-13 11:42:50, Info CBS NonStart: Success, startup processing not required as expected.

etc etc .......................................

If these are relevant is there some way I can attach them to an email so you can see them?

I am unable to spend time at the computer for several days now, because from tomorrow, for the next week, we have commitments away from home and therefore limited access to our pc.

Is it possible for me to resume receiving your help from Saturday 13th June when I should again have time, and be able to get onto my computer.

I realise that this may not be convenient for you, but I appreciate your endeavours and would wish to continue if possible.

Thank you Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok, just let me know when you can continue.
When you can, can you go to www.revouninstaller.com
Download and installl revo uninstaller and run it on the computer.
Use this program to uninstall Publisher from the computer.
Make sure when doing this, you select Advance and remove all registry entries and files.
Once done, restart the computer.
Then install publisher again and tell me if it now works please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I Will do. Thank you

Barbara

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I cannot try your last suggestion as I explained, I am away for a few days, until next Saturday.

I thought you had said not to complete the rating exercise until we are finished, so I am confused by the emails I am receiving.

Are the emails asking for a response just automated, so should I ignore them until I can respond to them with a meaningful answer next weekend when I shall be able to try your last suggestion( sent on 5th June)?

Barbara

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you can ignore the emails Barbara and let me know when you have had a chance to do the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the long interval before being able to try out your last suggestion.

I knew it would need some time clear to devote to it, and I just haven't had any spare time since getting back on Saturday, because of so many commitments. I used to have more time when in a proper paid job, rather than retired and undertaking so many voluntary jobs!

I have just spent the last two hours working through your last suggestion (on 05 June 2015 03:08 EST)

I downloaded the "revounistaller" and went through all the steps, selecting Advance and removing all the entries and files .

It suggested doing "repair" to my other MS office products.

I restarted computer, and tried the repair to my MS office 2007 but it came up with the message

"Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 configuration did not complete successfully" CLOSE

So I closed it and restarted the computer again. I re- installed the Publisher 2013 from my disc and was again asked to activate it with my product licence number.

I am hoping that it hasn't used up another of the spare user licences - it is a 7 additional user disc. will it recognise that this is the same computer just being re-installed?

Anyway, unfortunately, when opening Publisher 2013, I still get the same message - "stopped working checking for a solution

And then on trying to open it again I get the option of Safe mode

So - I am getting desperate now, and it is all taking up so much extra time when I have to open files twice each time even when publisher is open in safe mode. It doesn't recognise any recent files and so I have to go right back to My documents, and on opening files it gives the closing message, until I try opening a file again when once more I am offered safe mode - even tho' safe mode is already running.

I appreciate your help, but what now?

way past bedtime again, so ..

goodnight

Barbara

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Barbara.
Can you go to Start, Control Panel.
Click on User Accounts and make a new user account.
Then restart the computer and sign in with this new user account.
Once done, try to open Publisher and tell me if it then opens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did as suggested. Made new user account. Restarted computer and signed into new account.

Found Publisher 2013 listed in "All Programs" in Start. Clicked on Publisher.

Box appeared Windows Installer - preparing to install

This then changed to a box

Please Wait while windows configures Microsoft Publisher 2013

Gathering information

progress bar shown

Preparing to install

Then the boxes disappeared, couldn't see that anything had happened.

Tried then to start Publisher from the program list , and it again went through the above routine.

Tried changing the new account to Administrator type, and went through process again, with same result.

Right clicked on Publisher 2013 in the program list and tried changing compatibility to Windows 7

Again this made no difference, and it kept showing same boxes, as above then just nothing.

Tried to change back the compatibility box but no longer showing!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we have exhausted all options then and will need to do a windows reinstall.
Can you backup all data and tell me the make and model of the computer please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh that sounds drastic and a bit scary. Its an Acer computer, Aspire X1930 model ,and we bought it preloaded with Window 7 Home Premium.

This is obviously going to take time to do, so will sleep on it rather than doing anything this evening.

Thank you for persevering.

Barbara

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, its the only option we have left.
First you will need to copy all your data off the computer as this will remove all data from it. Programs you will have to install again.
Then power off the computer.
Power it on and keep pressing ALT+F10 until you get to the recovery manager
Once there, follow the onscreen instructions to perform a factory restore and windows is reinstalled.
Then install Publisher and it should now function correctly.
Let me know the results please
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Richard.

As my partner and I both use the computer we are rather worried about doing this and losing essential info or not being able to reload programs.

It is a basic lack of confidence on our part.

So for the moment I will just struggle on with using Publisher in safe mode until such time as we either gain the confidence or have somebody here who we can trust to do it for us.

So I will sign off, and thank you very much for your help and perseverence.

Barbara

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.
Hello Barbara do you want me to try to help you as I am another Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NoThank you

Hello Barbara, you do not need to reinstall Windows.