Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

How can I change the 'voice' used in MS Word to the Windows

Customer Question

How can I change the 'voice' used in MS Word to the Windows custom voice I have installed (and which works on System changes)
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Do you mean the voice for Text to Speech in Word?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to say that this is on a Windows PC (8.1)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
All you have to do is
In the Windows Control Panel, choose to View by: Large icons
Click the Speech Recognition icon
On the right side of the window, choose Text to Speech
control panel text to speech
In the Speech Properties dialog that pops up, choose CereVoice Stuart – English (Scotland) in the Voice Selection drop-down. Then click OK.
Do you have your own custom voice set there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - there is a custom voice - and it works in 'Windows'. But I cannot make MS Word use it - it uses the standard voice. This is the question - how to make MS Word use the voice I have set in the Windows Control settings

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes and that is how it is done also for word.
Restart the computer after setting it, does it then play it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try in 30 minutes and get back to you. Curious that I can find no way in Word to 'decide' the voice I want to use.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats because it gets set in windows itself and it uses this setting.
Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Actually I see the issue.
It has changed, it does not use the default.
Click in Word on Language, Set Proofing Language.
Then choose English UK and Hazel then speaks.
You can get different voices via the Languages here
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Using-the-Speak-feature-with-Multilingual-TTS-e522a4f2-37cb-492b-be6a-8997d23dfe70?CTT=5&origin=HA102066711&CorrelationId=9529f120-2d50-4282-852e-2518035939ce&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#__toc252354033
But its the only way now to do this and will work.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have restarted PC but MS Word (latest version) is still using the default Windows voice - not the custom voice showing in the control panel as the default voice.

There must be a way in Word to choose the voice?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I think you missed my last message, no problem will repeat it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer, but I still cannot make it work. I know Apple computers very well, but for medical reasons I am forced to use a Windows machine. Is it possible for me to pay you by the hour as you 'control' my Windows 8 machine (TeamViewer for example), and you do the following 3 very precise tasks.

1) Ensure MS Word 2013 is using the Windows System Voice (a custom voice which I have managed to make work in Windows, but no in MS Word)

2) Create a Macro such that when you hit the Enter (Return) key, it not only goes to the next line, but also runs a Macro.

3) This Macro 'speaks' (Text To Speech or TTS) the last typed sentence (not all the text)

4) Two other simpler Macros : 1) repeat the last sentence 2) save without further dialogue windows to a specific location.

I know it sounds suspicious, but I would rather pay someone by the hour (PayPal?) and watch the process here in Grenoble (France), rather than have text saying that 'this should work’. I have a new PC with almost nothing on it, sitting here available at any time via TeamViewer. I would be happy to pay a deposit first, with immediate payment on completion of the 3 very specific requirements above.

What think ye? I can give you a phone number if you prefer?

Francis Hughes
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
How did you create this custom voice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ModelTalker - it works when you fiddle with Control Panels/Ease of Use etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will only offer to take over your computer with the extra cost if I know this can work, and right now I dont believe it does.
The Languages in Word all work off the Language packs, they ignore the settings in windows as you see by the fact you have to select a language in proofing tools to select a different voice.
As such you would need to have ModelTalker add it into a proofing package, but as Microsoft do not show how this can be done (protection of the source code) your custom voice wont actually work in word, just within windows.
But contact ModelTalker in case they are a certified developer and are able to put it in a language pack as then you install this language pack and select it as the proofing language in word.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good advice - I will. But if you are still interested, could you propose and make work an alternative to Word?

This is for a user who is losing the ability to speak - but can still type fast.

Therefore ANY text editor would work - on condition that it can use the System Voice, and that you can create Macros.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, let me do some testing, ill get back to you soon Francis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - there is a lot more work behind this (eg.eye movement control)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok try this please
Open Wordpad (press windows key + R and type in wordpad and press enter)
Put your text in
then press the windows key + Enter to start Narrator
Then Caps Lock-U to read the page. It should then use your custom speech
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - but none of this works. After I press the Windows Key and then Enter, suddenly the window becomes very large.

I am spending so much time with various people all giving advice in words, when what I really want is someone to actually do it on my PC. I have a Screen Video recording app which I could switch on - nothing would need to be written down as I would have a recording of the complete sequence of steps required.

Can I not just pay you for 1 hour of your time whilst you 'have a go' on my PC via Teamviewer?

If you cannot do this - do you know of anyone who could?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes I can, and have made the offer now for you.
Can you reply to it please and I can connect to your computer over Teamviewer.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Please run Teamviewer and provide me the ID and Password ***** I can connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I there an easier way to communicate than all this typing? My phone number is +33###-##-####or I am happy to call you on Skype, landline or mobile

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I do this via online support and agreed I will connect to your computer and we do it there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I keep getting emails - I click reply - I scroll down to bottom of page - there is no new text . This is such a tedious way of communicating. Did you receive my team viewer details?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is something happening? Are you connecting?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
no, post them here in your next message.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Have you run Teamviewer?
Can you give me the ID and password *****
You mentioned you have used it in the past, but if you forgot how to use it the instructions are below
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done all this already! It is running'

Here are the details again

###-##-####/p>

39p2vn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** came through the first time, so maybe something went wrong.
I am now connected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Everything you do is using the customised voice to speak the action

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, and you see in word pad, when you press Caps Lock + U it is reading the page.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You can see all the different types of commands for Narrator here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hear-text-read-aloud-narrator#1TC=windows-8
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am getting deluged with emails, the Teamviewer text box does not work, what are you doing - should I do something?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Warning 120
Warning: there is probably another web application connected to the same Lightstreamer Server within this browser instance. That could prevent the current application from connecting to the Server. Please close the other application to unblock the current one.

Is there no easier way to communicate than this - this is awful

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, as I keep telling you to chat within Team Viewer.
Why are you not chatting there? As that is also where I am showing you how to achieve the speech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no idea what you are doing - please stop so we can talk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Teamviewer text box does not work, and even if it did - the text is so small I can barely read it.

I want an easier way to communicate - this is hopeless

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok.. you just powered off the computer.
The instructions I gave you work perfectly on the computer. I have been doing them for you as you can hear
You open Word pad
You put in the Text you want to read
You press the Windows key + Enter
Then you click in Wordpad and press Caps Lock + Control + U
It then reads the text in the custom voice you selected.
Thats all you have to do and I know it works as I was doing it on your computer just now.