Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

My Microsoft Update tells me that there a updates awaiting

Customer Question

My Microsoft Update tells me that there a updates awaiting installation.
When I try to install them starts then the system whirls away with no further action.
It used to work perfectly OK but now looks as though it is looking for some missing item.
Can you suggest any possible remedial action please.
Malcolm Slater
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How long have you waited for it to find an update?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Freddy
I left it running for about 40 minutes on one occassion

There are quite a few outstanding.

I have just checked and it now shows "Never" for checked for updates and "Never" for updates installed which is most strange.

Currently the "Checking for updates" is just whirling around but achieving nothing.

Malcolm

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What version of windows is on it? If there are a lot of updates it will take a long time to generate the list as well as install them. This is especially true if you are missing any service packs.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is Vista.

I have left the download running - so far 10 minutes and still whirling.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Leave it for an hour or two please and let me know if it is still doing this after that.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

After 25 minutes there is now a list of 81 updates outstanding.

Most are security updates for Office 2007 and Vista.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok that is normal then it just took a while because you have a lot that are needed. Install them all (it is going to take a while because of the amount).Then restart the computer and repeat the process. This can take a few times as some updates are needed before it will show new ones. Eventually once you are up to date the check will be empty.

You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking my question at the top.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - Will start and have my fingers crossed !

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok, take your time.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Two hours and all downloaded.

Number 3 of 79 being installed

Must download regulary in the future !!!!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately as I mentioned it is going to take a while you do not need to wait,I suggest just leavbing it while you do other things and check it again later.
.