IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My email account was hacked last Friday. I changed my password. I

My email account was hacked last Friday.
I changed my password.
I am receiving emails but not all.
Can you help Please.
Many thanks. Breda
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Is your e-mail account a GMail account, a Yahoo! account or some other e-mail account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

outlook.com

Hotmail

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information!

You will need to check for current e-mail account settings as it could be that certain e-mail addresses have been blocked.

Here is what to do:

1. Sign in to your Outlook.com / Hotmail account

2. Click on the screw icon located next to your name in the upper right corner and select Options

3. There you can check if anything has been changed. First, click on Email forwarding located under the Managing your account section and make sure the e-mails haven't been set to forward to another e-mail address

4. Next, click on Filters and reporting located under the Preventing junk email section. By default, these options should be selected:

Standard - Most junk email is sent to the junk email folder.
Ask the sender to remove you from mailing lists and automatically block spammers.
Show attachments, pictures, and links for senders with good reputations

5. Finally, click on Safe and blocked senders located under the Preventing junk email section. Review all the lists there, especially the Blocked senders list

6. You can review other e-mail options located on the Options window, but these are the most common causes why you don't receive e-mails from certain e-mail addresses

Let me know if you found these instructions to be helpful.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for help so far.

I have carried out all the instructions above.

I have now emailed two of the problem emails asking them

to send me quick test email.

Once I receive this I will respond back to you immediately,

Is that ok with you to wait ?

Most grateful. Breda

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Sure, it's not a problem. I will be notified by e-mail whenever you respond here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much.

I am worried about this and am extremely anxious to get it sorted.

I will be delighted when sorted.

Will be back to you there very shortly.

Thanks a million Breda

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If you found known e-mail addresses in the Blocked senders list and removed them, then it should now work properly. However, let's wait and see if you can receive e-mails from all senders to confirm if everything is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not find any names in blocked senders list.

I entered a few email addresses that I know are problems

and clicked remove from list.

Was this correct to do

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, you can add trusted e-mail addresses in the Safe senders list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I have added these addresses to safe senders.

Is there any way I can get these emails that have been sent to me

other than asking sender to resend ?

Thanks Breda

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If they were somehow blocked, then they were never received to your Inbox, so you will need to ask the senders to re-send them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I am still waiting on confirmation that I am receiving

all emails without issue, is it ok to email you again tomorrow

and finish solving this problem.

Many thanks.

Breda

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Breda!

Sure, no problem. Contact me tomorrow and let me know if everything is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for email
I will contact you there shortly with one or two more questions
And will be delighted to rate you then
Most grateful
Breda
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I will be happy to help you again.

You can rate my assistance whenever you want. Once rated, you can ask follow-up questions.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am very grateful for all your help.

Can I ask you

How was my email hacked, what actually happened.

and

Secondly How can I best protect my computer from this happening

again. Your help has been brilliant and I will rate you this evening.

Sorry I had to be away a little.

Many thanks. Breda

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Breda!

I cannot tell for sure what happened, but you probably used easy to guess password ***** that is the main reason why e-mail accounts get hacked. Always use a combination of lower-case and upper-case letters, numbers and symbols. And don't use the same password ***** other logins.

Also, always keep up-to-date recovery options, such as phone number and alternative e-mail address, so that you can request password ***** in case similar issue happens again.

For your computer, I suggest you to always have an anti-virus program running. In case you received spam e-mails, don't open the attachments since they always contain some kind of a virus.

If you follow those guidelines, you should be protected.

In case you experience any problems in the future, you can contact me again and I will make sure to help you again.

Regards,
IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I ask one quick question.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!

Sure, go ahead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Some people who received the hacked email
My email address was changed
Not all but some
They have sent some emails to this incorrect
Email
I changed my password ***** does this mean
The hacker could not read these emails ??
Or could they be read
Thanks. Breda
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to set a different "Reply to" e-mail address than the one being used to send the e-mail. The hacker could have done that, so if someone just clicked on "Reply" button, that another e-mail address would be listed as a recipient, instead of your original e-mail address.

To check if another e-mail address is used as "Reply to" e-mail address, do the following:

3. Under the Writing email section, click on Reply-to address

4. Make sure to use the first option - Your "From" address, then click Save

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean that hacker would have received some emails then
And would be able to read them
Breda
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If indeed another e-mail address was set as "Reply-to" address and some of the people did send e-mails there, then yes, the hacker probably had read them.

To find out which e-mail addresses were probably read by the hacker, you can ask others to check their sent e-mail addresses and look for unusual e-mail addresses being shown instead of yours.