Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Microsoft Windows 8.1 update appears "stuck" on a particular

Microsoft Windows 8.1 update appears "stuck" on a particular update (19 of 28), The first 18 appear to installed very quickly.
Is this normal ... I know updates can take an eternity - it is "stuck" what options does one have to unfreeze or (heaven help us) poer off
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
How long has it been on this step for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 1 Hour

The restart was initiated by Norton power Eraser - I did not realise there were any updates waiting.

But as 18 have been successfully processed is there any reason why the others should not be?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, it has crashed on the update which can happen, as an hour is too long.
Hold the power button down until it turns off, then turn the computer on and it should then be ok.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does want to turn off! It comes back with update message.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Keep holding the power button long enough (up to a minute and it will then power off as this forces it).
Else remove the power cable and do this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has now said it installing update 20! Do I just let it continue?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please, this looks to have got it restarted.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Restarted and NPE is running. Not sure and obviously cannot prove whether your solution worked or co-incidentally it had nearly finished the update.

It is not too unusual for updates to take an eternity: the NPE could just have been a red herring. It completed OK.

All OK now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
An hour is too long, it would not take that amount of time if there was not a problem.
When we tried to powered it off, it ran the restart process which got the install working again. You saw this as it kick started the install.
I have marked this question to never close though, so any issues, please let me know
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.