IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a Hotmail free account, I tried to sign in as usual

Customer Question

I have a Hotmail free account, I tried to sign in as usual with the correct password, I get a message saying to fill out a questionnaire with information like recent emails sent and files that had been created recently on my account I gave this information but I was told that the information was not enough to verify, I have done this on a few occasions giving as much information as possible but now it tells me iv tried to much and cannot do thie questionnaire again. I cannot get into my account with my correct password ***** keeps stopping me and not accepting the infor mation I have given.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

I am very sorry for what happened to your Hotmail e-mail account!

I will do my best to check for all possible options for you to regain access to your e-mail account and will let you know what to do.

Please type your Hotmail address here, but don't use the "@" symbol, but instead, use "at".

For example: email123 at hotmail.com

Also, when was the last time you were able to sign in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

clairetabithaathotmail.co.uk

I was able to get in last night about 9 pm

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK - the account is still active.

What exactly happens when you try to sign in now?

Do you see the "That password ***** ***** Be sure you're using the password ***** your Microsoft account." message or something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is the message im getting everytime I try to log in

Verify your account

We've detected something unusual about this sign-in. For example, you might be signing in from a new location, device or app. Before you can continue, we need to verify your identity with a security code. How would you like to get this code?

Email ‎as*****@gmail.com

I can't verify my account

this account was greated nearly 5 years ago, and I don't use the mail they are asking me to verify, so I don't know its password, iv tried giving an alternative email address but they wont accept it.. I filled out the questionnaire they sent me but its refusing it

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I see.

Free Hotmail accounts don't have many account verification (recovery) options. There are a total of different options available for your account:

1. Receive a verification e-mail to associated e-mail address (as*****@gmail.com)

2. Submit a questionnaire

Since the questionnaire didn't help, let's try with the GMail address that is associated to your Hotmail account. Even though you might not be using that GMail account, there may be a way of regaining access to it which will allow you to verify your Hotmail account as well.

So, let's try with that. Please type that GMail address here - use "at" instead of "@" and I will check if that account is still active.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

astralbodydotmeatgmail.com

But as I said I don't remember the password ***** this account, the other I use is claireann2015atgmail.com of which I do have the password.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
For security reasons, only the associated e-mail address can be used. So, you need to have access to "astralbodydotme at gmail.com".

I checked that account and it is possible to reset the current password ***** sending a password ***** link to an e-mail address that looks like this:

j•••••••••••*****@******.***

Do you recognize that e-mail address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im sorry no I don't recognise that email address,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
In that case, the only option that remains would be to try to reset the GMail account password ***** going to its own questionnaire - similar to Hotmail.

Would you like to try it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't even know what I may have said as in security questions because I don't use that e mail .. the only other email aside from the Hotmail is claireann2015atgmail.com..i cant even remember setting up an account starting with the letter j on gmail.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
It is a Yahoo! e-mail account that starts with the letter J, not a GMail account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant remember any yahoo account, I only use Hotmail and gmail.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Well, try with the GMail questionnaire - you have nothing to lose.

Here are the instructions:

1. To start, click on THIS LINK

2. Select I don't know my password and type the GMail address you want to reset the password ***** (*****@******.***) and click Continue

3. Type any password ***** remember or just click on the I don't know button

4. You will see that it mentions the Yahoo! account that starts with the letter J. Since you don't recognize it, click on the Verify your identity link located below

There follow the instructions - it is similar to the Hotmail questionnaire, only it will tell you immediately if you provided enough information or not. It is possible to go through the same questionnaire multiple times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it did not recognise the gmail alternative mail add, so I put in the Hotmail and it said sent verification to that add.. and I cant access it obviously.. so I have no idea what the email starting with j on yahoo is.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Only that "J" e-mail address can be used to request a password ***** - similar to your Hotmail account - only the associated GMail address can be used there.

If you cannot access the e-mail account, changing the recovery e-mail address is not possible.

Try with the GMail questionnaire the way I described.

At first point, you are asked to type a valid contact e-mail address, so enter any you can access and then continue with the questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that and it say its not the verifying email address I supplied, and it wont let me change it.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
At which step (there are 4) of following my instructions you see that message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't get to any steps because it wont accept my email address.. it keeps saying this is not the correct email. and wont go any further, cant I get Microsoft to send it to an address that I actually use and not one that has been void for years?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
You seem to be on the Hotmail page, but I provided a link to GMail page.

Please follow the instructions again:

1. To start, click on >>> THIS LINK <<<

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iv done your instructions the info it asked I did not know as I have not used the account in a long time, so it keeps saying the info I gave is incorrect and it does nothing, its asking me dates and things like that of when I wrote a last email... when I created the account and so on which is impossible to answer.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, but I don't see any other way. If you had a paid Hotmail account, the whole problem could have been solved with a simple phone call. There is no phone support for free Hotmail accounts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how can I get around them asking me when I used the account last they were asking me dates, how on earth how am I supposed to remember that? does this mean I have lost my account? is there anyway I can recover this account? its obviously important.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, this is how e-mail account security works - only the owner of the account is supposed to know that information. If you do not know that information, then you can use alternative e-mail address stored in your account. When even that is not possible, then there is no other way of proving you are an actual owner which would allow you to regain access to your account.

Usually people don't update their e-mail account recovery options until they get locked. Once that happens, it is too late.

I am sorry - I suggested you all the possible ways.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you very much for trying

kind regards

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It is a limitation of Hotmail / GMail service. I would gladly suggest you something else in order to get back to your account.

If you require any other assistance, let me know. I will do my best to help.

Regards,
IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box (smiley faces).

Thanks,
IT Miro