Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I deleted copy - copy - copy from the desktop icons

I deleted copy - copy - copy from the desktop icons for Windows Live Mail but when I open it I see only Outbox - not Inbox, Sent items, Deleted items or Drafts - except under Storage items. How can I restore these headings, please?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which version of windows you are running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you close all programs
Click start and type in
%appdata%
Press enter
In the new window that shows, click on App Data
Then local and right click on Windows Live Mail.
Select Properties
Then select Previous Version
Click on a version from before you did this and restore.
Let this complete and when you have, check if it is now returned.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried your solution but in response to 'Restore previous version' the message came up No previous version found (or words to that effect),

So I involved a friend who fixed the problem in seconds by clicking on the arrow alongside 'My Email' heading. It was nothing to do with the change to the desktop icon and I feel you should have known that.

So I have to say I am very disappointed and feel a refund of your £28 charge would be appropriate,

Douglas Couzens

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Keep in mind Douglas you gave only an explanation about deleting a file and a very basic explanation of your problem then dissapeared after I spend time typing up the first step for you to do.
Your friend could actually see the computer, and you did not respond to me at all.
I don't think your disappointment is well placed, considering no real effort was made on your part to work with me on this.
you get your refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund
But this is not really how you should work or treat people.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard.

I am even more confused than I was before (I'm 87!) and having received your instructions assumed I had done all that was necessary.

So the point at issue is that applying those instructions didn't solve my problem. Hence my dissatisfaction.

Douglas

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Solving computer problems is a process of elimination based on the information given.
You were meant to reply to me on the results and we would have gone from there.
I would have then taken over your computer and resolved it.
Never mind. All the best Douglas
Richard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the answer was so simple I feel that you should have got it right first time. But never mind - life's too short, especially at my age, to pursue this any further.

Thanks for your attention but you can stop wriggling.

I wish you well.

Douglas

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Faulty logic there Douglas.
Bye
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Firstly may I say I've enjoyed chatting with you.

I have now been asked to give a rating of the service but the message doesn't seem to bring in to consideration our latest exchanges.

So, before replying and purely out of curiosity, I would like you to explain what is illogical in my latest instalment.

Have a nice day.

Douglas

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
That answers for computer problems, based on one unclear exchange, are simple and should be fixed the first time.
Douglas, I do not see the point to continue this conversation. I have solved thousands of problems over decades and rarely do I have this type or interaction and wish to avoid it.
You are not required to rate.
Thank you and all the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But Richard, you were thinking and have replied in general terms. I was referring specifically to my individual problem where it was shown to me that the solution was so simple that I feel that a second 'bite of the cherry' ought not to have been necessary.

Maybe you were thrown by me associating the problem with my changing the desktop icon which turned out to be coincidental.

Douglas

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Bye Douglas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

Can you please arrange for a stop put on persistent follow up emails which I assume are automated.

Douglas