Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Thank youI am trying to use my old lap-top (Sony)which is

Customer Question

I am trying to use my old lap-top (Sony)which is running Windows 7. At start-up I cannot enter my password ***** move the on-screen pointer as the system seems to be "frozen". If I switch off and do an emergency start-up I can use the pointer to select the start-up mode, but, after that I get a frozen password ***** I realise that this is probably simple, but, help please !
Tony
PS Stating the obvious, but, this is on another lap-top
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your laptop issues. First, I suggest that you try to boot the laptop into Safe Mode and see if it boots successfully. To boot into safe mode, turn on or restart the computer and right before Windows loads, press and keep tapping the F8 key to get the Advanced Boot screen. Then select Safe Mode in the list.
Please let me know when you are in Safe Mode so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
How is it going? Were you able to boot the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures I gave you? Please let me know, I will be happy to assist you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two lap-tops, this one which is working fine and I can use all the functions (including e-mail), and a second lap-top which has the problem. Indeed, this second lap-top is not working at all.My problem is that I can only get to the log-in screen where it asks for my password ***** then it "freezes / locks-up" and I neither enter anything into the password ***** nor move the pointer. As such I can do nothing with the machine, so a screenshot is out of the question. (What I call the log-in screen is where the computer has been switched-on, has started-up and then presents you with a stylised image of a computer screen with a box below to insert a password.) I could try to photograph the screen and send you that picture, but, in my experience, I can only get poor quality pictures of computer screens.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issues with your second laptop.
First, please try if you can still BOOT the laptop into Safe Mode. Here are the steps:
1. Turn ON the laptop
2. Right after turning it ON, tap and keep tapping the F8 key
3. Then you shall see the Advanced Boot options, select Safe Mode with Networking there.
Please tell me if you were able to boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.
Best regards,
JEss
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Unfortunately this does not work; I have tried it again and I had tried it previously.

As before :

• I switch on.

• I press F8 repeatedly.

• I get the "Boot Options" page and, using the up down arrows i an select "Safe Mode" with / without "Networking". I can then use "Enter / Return" to select my option.

• The lap-top then scrolls through "Loading Windows Files".

• I then get the "Log-in" page (image of a computer screen, my name, password ***** Windows 7).

• Now I can do no more. I cannot type in the "Password *****" and I cannot move the "Pointer".

• I switch-off with the "power" button and tray again (after minutes, after hours), but, the same thing happens again.

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Tony,

Thank you for writing back with that information. I am very sorry about the persisting issues.

Please try to use the other options like Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Or use the Last Known Good Configuration.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Starting in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" has the same result.

How do I use / where do I find "Last Known Good Configuration" ?

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about the persisting issues. "Last Known Good Configuration" is one of the options where you see Safe Mode. But if you don't see it there, then you do not have that option.

I believe your Windows installation is corrupted that needs to be restored using factory settings. However, the restore process can be done in one of 2 ways. First, by using a recovery CD or DVD that you must have created when the computer was NEW. Second, by using the hidden recovery partition of your computer model supports it. In either way, the process will wipe out all your data from the BOOT drive (usually Drive C) and then the version of your Windows will be restored as brand new.

Can you please tell me if you have a lot of personal files on that problem computer that you need to recover before doing the factory restore?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

No, on that computer I have no personal files / information that I cannot afford to lose. Therefore, I have no information that I would want to recover and a reset to factory settings would not be a problem for me.

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing back with that information. So I believe you need to proceed to the factory reset option this time.

There are 2 possibilities on how you can do the factory reset.

First, if your Sony HAS NO hidden recovery partition, you need a set of recovery discs that should have been created when the somputer was new or functional. Have you created those discs? If yes, then you can use those discs to do the recovery process.

Second, if your Sony has the hidden recovery partition, no need for recovery discs. Please do the following:

1. Restart the computer.
2. When the Sony or the VAIO logo appears on the computer's screen, tap the F10 key and keep tapping the key until the VAIO Recovery Wizard appears.
3. Follow the on screen procedures to completely restore the computer to factory settings.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Thank you very much.

I have found the original recovery discs, but, the "broken" Sony has a "hidden recovery partition" which I can use. However, it does give me the option to save information and, currently, I do not have enough storage for the transfer. Therefore, I will not be using this process for a couple of days.

While I am very satisfied with your service so far, obviously the problem has not yet been completely resolved. So, when I have performed the recovery and re-set the computer (I estimate a few more days yet as there are things that I need to do), then I would like the opportunity to rate your service formally.

Have a good weekend

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing back with that information. I am glad that you have both the hidden recovery partition and the setof recovery discs. Yes, please take your time to do the things you need to do and just perform the factory reset procedures then.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

All went well with re-setting and re-installation with everything working well until "shut down". Now, when I finish, I get the "shut down " screen with the rotating icon, but, nothing happens - no shut-down ! I have been forcing a shut-down by switching the computer off, the only alternative that I can think of.

Any thoughts ?

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing back and I am glad that all went well except this shutdown issues. Regarding this one, I believe this is caused by some software or services that are running in the background that the shutdown process cannot terminate. Therefore, I highly recommend that you turn off or disable those programs and services so that they will not prevent your computer from shutting down.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. You shall notice that the computer boots faster and then test if the system shuts down normally this time.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Unfortunately, this did not work; I still get the get the "shut down " screen with the rotating icon, but, nothing happens - still no shut-down after 5 minutes.

I have been through the process four times, each time with the same end result.

1. The first time at step 7 I was not given the option to "disable all" after hiding the Microsoft services. At the end I selected "shut-down" not "restart".

2. The second time I was able to go through the procedure as described.

3. The third time was the same as the second, but, I chose not to save my antivirus this time (it was only the basic "Avast" anyway), however, I am not sure that it allowed me to disable this. (As a passing comment, I did try to do some printing at this stage, but, could not identify my printer and / or install the device driver).

4. On a fourth occasion I noted that in the System Configuration " widow that I had "Selective start-up " selected (Step 4). At the end I chose "Restart" in the dialogue box (not highlighted as the "default" choice) at the end of the process this took me to a reconfigure message before shut-down, then the same result - no actual shut down.

Each time I had to terminate the "shut-down" screen by shutting the computer off.

So, sadly, that did not appear to work.

Any more thoughts ?

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about your shutdown issues. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly perform the troubleshooting procedures while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Yes; let's do that

Please send instructions

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,

Can we do the remote access 1 hour from now? My internet connection is not stable at the moment. After 1 hour I can get a better connection.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Sounds good to me

So, about 08:50 EST (13:50 here); I will await further contact details from you.

Just answer should have my credit card information, so, the additional fee should easy to pay.

I will ensure that we work from my old Sony lap-top, the one with the problem, as I have currently been e-mailing via my newer lap-top.

Tony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Agreed

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d590d1a9-9945-4a08-996e-7afac0731bd72. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Currently installing 208 updates !

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes Tony, I can still see your screen. Please DO NOT power it off, it is critical updates so please allow it to finish....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Of course; just that it may take some time.

If this works, can we than talk about installing my printer ?

Tony

PS now on 7 of 208 !

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
9 of 208 now.... Yes, I canhelp you install your printer....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Phew ! All the updates loaded.

After that I reckon it took about one (1) minute to shut down.

I have now started up again. So far it has :

• Configured updates (about 12 minutes to starting windows)

• Done further configuring (about 5 minutes to starting windows)

• About 2 minutes of starting windows.

• Then configuring windows

• Followed by a shut down and more configuring windows

• Now (about 11 minutes later I can put in my password)

I will do this now; what next ?

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I believe the shurtdown issues are now resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

The last shut-down took 30 minutes, but, there were 60 updates !

Can we come back to the printer issue in 20-24 hours rather that 16 (when you first suggested it), as I have something I need to do in 16 hours time ?

Currently when I try to add a printer in the print dialogue stage I get a "Active Domain Services Directory" is not available, but the printer is recognised in the "network".

If you drop me an e-mail when you are back on-line and able to help me I will contact you as soon as possible

Tony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

I am back on-line, if it is convenient to look at my printer issues. If not, please let me know how and when we can tackle this.

Tony

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony,Your post came 1:08AM and I was already offline by then. I am now online and will be online for the next 10 hours.Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

You must work some amazing hours !

As you can see, I am back on-line now.

Tony

PS For e-mail I only have this lap-top and my mobile 'phone working for now.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Tony,

Let us do remote again. Here is the link:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=fff02566-f9ea-4294-a241-1ac5306f6255

Run the remote tool to join me in the session.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jess

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

Everything seems to be working well and I can print e-mails and word documents.

Is there any more that I need to do ?

I must go off-line now (a family problem to solve), but, will be back later today.

As, I believe the issues have been solved most satisfactorily I expect that this dialogue is now closed. If it is, please send me your rating scheme as I have had a most excellent service.

Thanks again

Tony Fisher

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back and I am so glad that all is well now including your printer! Thank you for your patience, it has been a lengthy process but I am so glad that everything is OK now.I believe you have already rated me when you accepted the additional service offer of remote access. But at the top portion of your JustAnswer page, there you can leave a tip or positive feedback for my service.Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess