Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I think my Hotmail account has been hacked into. I have tried

I think my Hotmail account has been hacked into. I have tried to change my password ***** was not successful.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens now when you try to sign into your account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can sign into my account as normal. Can I explain to you what has happened?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes of course Roger, tell me in your next message to me please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On 25 June I received an email which appeared to be from Microsoft telling me my account is blocked and to regain access I would need to click on "sign in". Unfortunately I fell for it and clicked on it. The following day,26 June, I received an email ostensibly from a cousin in Canada saying that her bag had been stolen, she was out of the country (Canada) and urgently needed money transferred to her. I realised this was a scam, which was confirmed when I spoke to my cousin on the phone. She said that her Hotmail had been hacked into on 26 June and that she had managed to have the problem fixed. I have since noticed that in my junk box (which I rarely look at normally) there have been about 6 fake Microsoft emails exactly the same as the one I clicked on which had not got through to the in box, presumably recognised as fake and intercepted by security system.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Roger, yes this is a very common scam they do.
It only works when people transfer money to the account to help you as you have "lost your bag".
The Junk box is catching a lot of this and this is what you are seeing there.
If you can sign into your account still, then I advise you change your password. Then tell everyone that you have been hacked and to ignore the email about the bag.
Microsoft will never email you about anything regarding your account, and especially will never ask you to click on any links. If you ever see such an email (also this goes for Amazon, Yahoo, Google ect) as this scam is done for all companies, just ignore the email and you will be ok.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Does it mean that the hacker can read all my emails such as hotel booking confirmation which shows my address and dates of holiday. This is very worrying. How do I change the password? I have tried to do it but it didn`t work.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
until you change the password ***** yes they can Roger, so lets change the password *****
To do this, in Hotmail, click on the gear wheel in the top right click click Options.
Click on Account Details.
Click on Security and Privacy
Then click on Change Password ***** change it there. Once done this stops any access from the hackers
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I will try it myself, but how do I get back to you to let you know the result or if I need further assistance?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You just reply here Roger, like you are doing now, there is no time limit on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard. I clicked the gear wheel and the security options but then there was no "account details" to click onto.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You dont click security options Roger
You click Options, then on the new page that opens you will see Account details.
Directly under Managing your account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again I clicked the gear wheel. There was no "account details" option on the list, only "internet options", which I tried before unsuccessfully.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your clicking the wrong gear wheel Roger, your clicking the one within Internet Explorer.
You need to go to hotmail and click it there.
And its not account details in the list its OPTIONS, then on the new page Account details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Richard. I have changed my password.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Perfect Roger!
This stops any additional access to your account from the hackers. It is now secured.