michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

When I try to logon to my computer as a local user I get an

When I try to logon to my computer as a local user I get an error message saying there are no servers available to process the request.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
What is the operating system you have on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7 Professional

do you have another user account on this computer.
when did the problem started
let me know the full error message you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are two accounts: Administrator and Richard (also in the administrators group)

The problem started when Richard's password *****

I logged on as Administrator and entered a new password ***** Richard.

The message that comes up is "There are currently no logon servers to service the logon request."

Usually you get that message when trying to log in with a domain account but there are no domain controllers present to authenticate your credentials.
The profile Richard seems to be corrupted please tell me when was the last time it was working fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was working fine prior to the expiry of Richard's password.

yes i understand however the profile is corrupted we can try to make changer in the windows registry file to get it fixed however if its not fixable then you we will have to create a new profile after removing the existing corrupted profile.
There is an optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution
if you Would like me to remote connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service which will allow me directly work on the problem and can be fixed quickly, you can sit back and watch your screen while i fix it for you. Let me know if you need the additional service or else we can continue with the service you have already opted for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much is the Remote Connect Service?

please confirm that is the user account Richard on a domain\network in your office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a standalone computer which was once on an office network

ok and was the profile richard too accessible on the office network or you have created it later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The profile for Richard was created on the office network

ok ...that means that the profile settings were as per the office network due to which it is not accessible
there are 2 things that we can try here
1. try to recover the corrupted profile
2. if the above fails , the profile has to be deleted and a new one created
we will attempt the first option now
please click start..control panel..user accounts
manage user accounts..can you change richard's account type to a normal\local user rather than an admin
also check the below
click start..computer...c: drive
users
click on richards folder
let me know if you are able to view the files saved in richards profile
let me know and i will suggest further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have changed Richard to be a standard user. I can see all the folders in the Richard folder when I click on it and the files within those folders.

great
now the first thing we need to do is to backup the files in the richard profile to avoid data loss
for the same, copy all the important files you wish to keep and save them to either the admin profile in a seperate folder or you could transfer all these files to external storage maybe like a flash drive or external hard drive
let me know once you backed up your files
then i will list further steps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I am backing up the files in Richard profile, but these amount to 34GB and Windows estimates this will take 2 hours. So I will have to get back to you when this is done.

sure..reply to me once you have backed up your data
this is just a precautionary step so that we don't loose any data
let me know where are you backing up the files...on external storage or on admin profile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On admin profile

ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Michelle, so the files are now backed up to the admin profile

great..so our next step would be to delete the profile richard( all its files that you need , you have already copied to another location)
click start..control panel..user accounts..manage user accounts
delete the account richard
let me know once done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have deleted the Richard account

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have deleted the Richard acccount

ok..click start...control panel...user accounts...click on add user accounts
create a new account maybe again by the name of richard or any other name you like
select the account type as local ..set a password ***** you want
once the account is created, you can first for testing purpose, copy few files from the backup to the new account
to do so, follow the below steps
click start..computer..c: drive
user accounts
click on new account...
now open the folder where you backed up files...select few files..copy them and paste into new account folder
once done..log out of admin account
try to login with the new account
;let me know if you are able to login and open the files you copied
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to add a new account via the control panel, I can't see any 'add new account' at c: users.

When I try to add a new user, I get this message 'L1-TEC-002\Richard cannot be granted Standard User access because L1 -TEC-002\Richard does not exist'

The same happens if I try a different user name

would it be fine if i remote access and check the settings for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Does this cost extra?

remote access is a value added service, but i will not be charging you anything additional
please type the below link in the address bar of your browser
http://tinyurl.com/pyka9ze
Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.
The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.
Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.
After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
user account data backed up and information shared with customer
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer
Experience: Indept expertise on MS Office package