Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am being told my Hotmail account has been hacked into. I

Customer Question

I am being told my Hotmail account has been hacked into. I have been sent a code to reset but it doesn't work and I'm now going round in circles.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The phone number that is associated with your account, is it a Cell phone or landline?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The number is ***** old landline i.e. I have moved house

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then you will have to fill in this form Kathryn. It is going to ask you a series of questions, so answer these please as accuratly as possible. This will give you the best chance to regain instant access.
The form you access here
https://account.live.com/acsr?rollrs=04
Complete this and either they will give you access so you can change your password ***** they will need to manually review your request.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already done this, twice.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What were the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing, no response to the new email address and no code other than the one that doesn't work i.e. when I enter it, it just sits there and nothing happens - I can't move onto the next screen.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but the link I gave is a questionnaire and it is going to give you either access or a message at the end of it.
What is your email?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The email I'm trying to access is *****@******.***

How can you notify me by email when I can't access my email????

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
whats the last 4 digits of the phone number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the last four of the old landline are 9049

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
what is a working email address that hotmail could contact you on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I checked and you have not done the instructions I asked, that you ssaid you did twice already. If you did you get either access or a message at the end.
Ill repeat what I want you to do. It involves nothing with the phone
https://account.live.com/acsr?rollrs=04
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, done it again, the message says I've reached the limit for account recovery requests and to try again in 24 hours

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You were asked to fill in first name, last name, and questions about the content in your emails correct eg: Subject
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then as you tried the other process with the phone so many times before coming here, its blocked you from doing this form.
You will have to wait 24 hours to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't try it with the phone - because I couldn't verify the correct phone number I clicked the can't verify box, which took me to the form

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but just running the process did this, though you said you received a code...
Anyway it does not matter as they have put a block on doing the process I gave you for 24 hours.
You need to wait till this time tomorrow and then use the Link I gave you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did receive a code but it didn't work.

How will the link that takes me to the same form work tomorrow when it didn't work even the first time I tried?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The link has nothing to do with a code, at the end of the questionnaire it will either give you access or be manually reviewed.
I still don't know how you would get a code when you have a landline phone as you indicated though. How exactly was this code received?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By text to my mobile

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
but you said it was a landline phone... so its not that but a mobile?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The number they quote (when they ask for the last four digits) as associated with my account is the old landline. That's why I don't understand how I got a text message to my mobile, unless it's because I used the mobile number when I set up the new email account, which I needed to do so they could respond but they haven't.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then you need to wait 24 hours and use the link I gave