Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

This is about publisher. When inserting some photos into a

Customer Question

this is about publisher. When inserting some photos into a document the image will not show just a little cross in a box in the top left hand corner. Do you know why this is happening?
thank you.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which version of Publisher you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2010

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this means it cannot find the picture or display due to size.
Go to View > and check Graphics Manager. Find the image that is giving you problems and see if it is linked or embedded. If you select the picture an arrow appears that allows you some options. I would suggest that if the picture is is linked that you embed it, if it is embedded and very large in file size, that you compress the image along with all the other images in the file, and replace it with a new version.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgive my ignorance ........ what do you mean by if the picture is linked - linked to what? - and what is embedding.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its no problem.
You can put a picture in two ways.
1) You link it, so you tell publisher where the picture is located on your computer eg: c:\my pictures\picture.jpg
The problem is if the picture is moved from that location, you lose it in publisher
2) Embed the picture which is preferred. So it is actually placed inside the publisher file itself, then it cannot be lost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I input the files into publisher by - insert picture and select the picture - is that linking or embedding?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It depends to what mode the insert button is set to.
Does it say insert or link to file?
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
How did you go Helena?