Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

In wordpad why do my sums not print out exactly as I type them. I am using windows 7. P

Customer Question

In wordpad why do my sums not print out
exactly as I type them. I am using windows 7. Please reply in plain english I am 72 years old and not very good with IT etc.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me an example of what you are trying to have displayed in word pad? I can tell you up front that wordpad is probably not the best software for laying out calculations. You may want to use Excel or a free spreadsheet program like the one included in Open Office (Calc).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am trying to display shopping lists with list of products and costs.

i.e. Bacon £2.00

Bread £2.00

_____

£4.00

When the list prints out the calculations are not aligned. I have tried to align left and right and then justify. It never works.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is the sort of thing that would work best in a spreadsheet program because you can (and often will) fight with the formatting for hours and still not get it to look right. And quite simply, there's no easy, good way to get Wordpad to auto format information in the way you are hoping. A lot of people feel intimidated by spreadsheet software, but once you play around with it for a little bit, its really pretty easy to use. You can do the calculations yourself if you like and it will make the formatting much easier, you don't even need to use the built-in formulas and calculations.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
You can see more information about OpenOffice here: https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.htmlit's completely free. The component you would want to use to do what you are trying to do is called "Calc"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will try but may have to refer back to you if I cannot make it work.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Okay, let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked out the Microsoft Excel Start and quite frankly it is too

complicated for me. I have also been charged twice for this question

even though it states alongside the question "Locked" I have still been

charged. Could you please advise what I should do as I need to get the payment back.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
You can inquire about a refund by e-mailing***@******.***.