Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I received a phone call today from someone saying he

I received a phone call today from someone saying he was from Windows technical department warning me that my computer is being hacked for criminal purposes. He instructed me me to insert a security ID for instructions.
When I asked who this was he gave me an English name but his accent suggested otherwise.
Because I was a bit confused about all this, the guy shouted and threatened to cut me off. I asked for a phone number but he declined to give it.
So I told him that I had an appointment and that he would have to call another day. To my surprise he accepted this and he would wring on Wednesday. I then dialled 1471 to get the number he was calling from which was 00121(###) ###-####
Please advise.
Barry Winter
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. If you received any call from a service claiming to be Microsoft/Windows (or likewise) and offering to repair your computer or for any other tech services, please IGNORE them - they are not affiliated with those services in any way. They trick users into allowing them remote access to their PCs and then install their worthless programs and other malware, while charging the users for doing so.Microsoft will never place unsolicited calls to anyone unless their services are specifically requested for. For further info, please check out the following official support article on this scam:https://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspxIf you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation.Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) a star rating at the top of this page. Thank you!