jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I began my reserved update to Windows 10 at 8:00 UK time on

Customer Question

I began my reserved update to Windows 10 at 8:00 UK time on Friday 31st July. At 24:30 on 1st August it is still 'Working on it ...' What is going on? What can I do about it?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this problem. So I understand this correctly is it not installing at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It displays a circle of white dots constantly revolving above the message 'Working on it ...' Nothing else is happening on the monitor screen but the modem flickers and the laptop shows activity by every so often putting a light on the front for a period of time and in between it flickers irregularly. Is it still downloading or is it an abortive attempt to do so?

It seems it's still running the install process it's not a fast install. It can take some time. Especially if your drive has never been defragmented. But again it can be a slow install how long has it been doing this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The action began with a scan and recognition of the utilities on my Laptop. Since then it has been running for 17 hours.

If it's been doing that for 17 hours it's possible it may be stuck. Go ahead and force it to shut down by holding the power button down till it shuts off then wait for 10 seconds and turn it back on it will either pick up where it started from and continue or revert back in which I do have a better way of upgrading which would be by a downloaded iso you would need to burn to disk and install that way. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have returned to this discussion but there is no sign of the Windows 10 update - which incidentally was effectively forced upon me and was supposed to be free.

Ok what is it doing now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely nothing! There is no sign of anything! Seems like it needs to be started again - (from scratch?)

If the update failed probably but I have a better way to upgrade to windows 10 and you would have a hard copy but you would need to update windows 7 if that's what you had to service pack 1 if it's windows 8 you would need to update it as high as it can go to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have 8.1. I do not have any discs since I have never needed them. I am a home user, retired.

Also, I do not want any kind of membership since this will almost certainly be my only question and was only necessary because of the failure of this attempt at automatic updating.

I am hoping the machine didn't remove it's recovery partition and that is no problem. What is the make of this machine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DELL Inspiron 15 and was the first thing checked out at the start of the update. It was found to have all necessary capacity, etc.

OK restart the machine when you see the dell logo push f12 a couple of times and tell me if there are any options.